How many screws per timber-to-timber joist hanger?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
The timber is 7x2, the span of each joist is approx 30cm (they're trimmers you see).

I called expamet who make the hangers and they said use every hole! I was hoping to save a bit of time by using about 4 screws per hanger but I don't want the floor to collapse.

The screws I was planning to use are 5 x 1 1/4.

Thanks.

Sponsored Links
Is a 30cm trimmer possible? That would make joist spacing of 15 cm :eek:

Use use clout nails in every hole. They are not screwed

Sponsored Links
Assuming Span means Span and not interval.

^woody^ said:
Is a 30cm trimmer possible? That would make joist spacing of 15 cm :eek:

Use use clout nails in every hole. They are not screwed

The spacing between the joists is approx 30cm, so that's the length of each trimmer. Unless what I'm calling a trimmer is actually called something else in the correct parlance.

I'm calling the crosspieces between joists (on which will sit a new stud partition wall that runs parallel to but not on the flooring joists) 'trimmers'. They may well be called something else by those who know what they're talking about.

Anyway, as per the advice I've used nails. One in every hole too. I went for the square twisted 30mm variety and can recommend them heartily to others.

"Span" is the length of the joists between the walls they are supported on.

"Interval" or "Spacing" is the distance from the centre of the width of one joist to the centre of the next.

What is the Span and the Interval of your joists?

Joist are the main timbers that run from wall to wall at regular centres.
Trimmers are joists that take loading from other joists normally to form holes in the floor for stairs etc.
Noggins are short timbers that run between joists to keep the joists vertical.

JohnD said:
"Span" is the length of the joists between the walls they are supported on.

"Interval" or "Spacing" is the distance from the centre of the width of one joist to the centre of the next.

What is the Span and the Interval of your joists?

The joists span about 8 feet from the wall to an RSJ that goes across the room.

The interval or spacing is approx 40cm.

The 'trimmers' are therefore about 35cm long.

The building control officer seem satisfied with my work but I've since realised that the door casings in the stud wall will fall between trimmers, and wonder if they should be moved to be directly underneath the casings. The stud partition will be sitting on 18mm flooring grade chipboard and the nearest trimmer will be about 6 inches away.

Static said:
Joist are the main timbers that run from wall to wall at regular centres.
Trimmers are joists that take loading from other joists normally to form holes in the floor for stairs etc.
Noggins are short timbers that run between joists to keep the joists vertical.

I think they're deffo trimmers then! I'm taking loading from the joists to support a stud partition wall that runs parallel to the joists.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back