Correct way to divide up space when boarding out a ceiling?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I'm finishing up boarding out my ceiling today and measuring up I have a width of 1230 left to do. Is a 30mm strip of plasterboard good practice over 3 metres or should I divide the run into two, 615mm each or thereabouts?

Just that I will require more board if I divide equally, fair enough if that's best practise, but a bit of a pain to go fetch.

Any advice welcome, thanks chaps.

Sponsored Links
well, a 30mm strip will have pretty much NO strength at all, i would go and get some new board if it was me BUT i have seen this done more than once by people on ceilings/walls i've been to skim, never been back because of any problems, always plenty of scrim!

suppose it depends on how much movement if any there is in your room/house.

Just my opinion

Go get some more board; inserting a 30mm strip is a really bad idea & something you could regret doing later.

If you have some scraps of ply, or any sheet timber (failing that some short lengths of batten) then you can fit the full board closest to the wall so the 30mm rip is in between two full boards, incidently, if you have some offcuts pf plasterboard that are wider than 30mm and you have enough length in then then use them, any who, if you bridge the gap with the ply / sheet timber between the joists or use many small lengths of batten. which ever you chose, make sure that you screw the two bigger boards and the fillet to it. This will keep the fillet strip fixed to the bigger boards across its whole length, or most of it therefore giving less chance of a board to move on it's own from the others, minimisung cracking. get some 4" wide scrim tape and give it a couple of layers before skimming.

Sponsored Links
Thats rather a lot of messing about for the sake of 6 1½ quid :confused:

Thanks gents. Agreed, I need to get out more anyway, just have to remember to bring some board back with me ;)

If it is the choice between finishing the ceiling and getting a coat on or spending the afternoon going to get a plasterboard I would mince about as i said. I dont like and cant afford waste either and it does the job absolutly fine :)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back