correct way to install patio doors

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
ive seen a lott of reports of problems,, where sliding patio doors leak back into the building.. some seem to be blocked weep holes,,,, but others seem to point to bad instalation,,, i have plenty of time to fix mine so id like to know where to put weep holes... my doors sit on a sill which as no holes any advice how do you fitt yours?

Sponsored Links
Your "weep" holes may be hidden under a cap if your sliding door runs on the inside

yes thay were hard to see i have now fitted the doors paying particular attension to the weep holes,,, im now deciding whats best for sealing them,,, the gap is 10mm to brick,,, im trying to avoid foam,, unless im told differant

Sponsored Links
Why avoiding foam?

I always use it not as a bodge but because of several reasons.

Foam all the way around window or door means no drafts.

It gives a thermal break separating brickwork from frame so cold brickwork doesn't make frame cold which in turn will suck heat out the room.

Filling the void with foam also gives great soundproofing properties as foam absorbs sound rather than transmitting it... And fact it's filled the void means sound waves cannot pass easily.

Foam also provides extra fixing security, it shouldn't be used as a sole fixing but it does provide fixing strength.

So lots of benefits.

I then put a bead of sealant around the edges of the window / door then press a quadrant trim into it.

So window is then triple sealed from weather and drafts with the trim, sealant, foam.

Trim also protects the sealant from effects of weathering which would normally over time cause the sealant to shrink and crack etc.

Also use cavity closers and a trim on inside to stop cavity drafts also.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back