Patio door sill and decking

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
IMG_3781.jpeg
IMG_3779.jpeg

Hello,

I would really appreciate any advice. I want to finish off this patio door installation properly (the builder has fecked off and won’t return my calls).

The door has been installed on top of the internal timber frame. There is then a cavity, and a single brick foundation with concrete block wall above it forming the outer skin of the building.

I want to build a deck up to the patio door. My thought is to install a concrete sill under the patio door first. Then concrete in posts 300mm from the brickwork. Install a timber frame for the decking, with an additional box step on top, which would allow the decking to be level with the white pvc sill.

Would this work? How would you do it?

The gap between the underside of the pvc door sill and the brickwork is about 50mm.

Cheers,
Ross

Attachments

• IMG_3784.jpeg
    IMG_3784.jpeg
    45.1 KB · Views: 23
Sponsored Links
Your decking should not obstruct the vent or meeting the building without a gap to avoid damp brickwork.

Hi, thanks for your reply. I agree, that’s why I planned to install the deck frame into concrete posts away from the brick wall, to ensure the air bricks will not be blocked. The other option I considered is to use a ledger board on the wall, leaving gaps where the air bricks are, and using stainless washers to give a 15mm air gap. But I have read that single skin brick is not structurally sound enough for this. Does anyone agree or disagree with that?

Last edited:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back