Screw in door threshold/sill ?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
When installing door frames, should the door threshold/sill also be secured in with screws ? I've always wondered what could happen if there is a breach of the DPC/DPM, presumably, that's what the sill is for.

Sponsored Links
The official advice from competent persons schemes ... is yes they should be fixed on all four edges.
In my opinion Always coat screws going Through cills/thresholds with silicone before screwing in as then they should then seal

The official advice from competent persons schemes ... is yes they should be fixed on all four edges.
In my opinion Always coat screws going Through cills/thresholds with silicone before screwing in as then they should then seal
Thanks.
How long should the screws be though ? I have 100mm concrete screws which be used to screw in the jambs and into the lintel, but not sure if they are too long for thresholds.

Depends on the substrate really, we generally use 82mm concrete screws as a rule for the cill

Sponsored Links
I try not to secure through those if possible...copious amounts of silicone, but if no choice as its moving then yes or shorter if you have them

I try not to secure through those if possible...copious amounts of silicone, but if no choice as its moving then yes or shorter if you have them
Maybe better to embed the the aluminium cill into mortar in that case ? Although I wonder whether the mortar may reaction negatively to the aluminium over time.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back