Correct way to rectify front door threshold/sill?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
New build 2020/2021 vintage.

I've not been completely happy with this and was going to fix it up in spring/summer.

Then I heard our neighbour's solid wood parquet flooring has been soaked, not happy to DIY it. They rang the developer/builder, and the builder's people were round this morning "fixing" her threshold. Remove screws, silicone bead underneath, then refit, and a silicone bead across the front.

One thing the neighbours had mentioned was the lintel was angled back.
Checked mine and it was angled back too.
8.jpg

Mine was loose, in this weather wind was blowing between the aluminium bar and the wood underneath, and if I pushed down the draft would disappear. This was causing condensation to forum, but no actual damp ingress.

I decided to just lift it a bit to take a look as it was already loose, but it kinda just lifted up, it was super easy, barely an inconvenience.
It seems bad practice to have the wood frame touch the stone(?) sill long-term?
1.jpg

More context. Drain bedded on concrete, big gap to sill vs neighbours. Drain clear.
2.jpg

More context. Skirting off due to fitting LVT.
Timber sill on interior is dry. The neighbour's one looked soaked.
3.jpg

Screws don't actually go into the wood sill, but into the gap between the stone sill and the wooden interior sill.
I've no idea how the interior wood sill is fixed down.
5.jpg

Does this all look standard practice for current building approaches?

Anything missing that should have been done?

What's the right way to make good?

My current plan is to do what the builders did next door and run a fat bead of silicone on the stone side, in what looks like a groove behind the leading edge of the aluminium threshold, to stop water there.
If I clear the cavity between the stone sill and wood sill of building debris, is that best left as an air-gap?
The builders next door also ran a small clear bead across the sill leading edge, but this seems unnecessary assuming there is some seal somewhere under the sill on the stone side?

Anything fundamentally wrong with this that would ideally be rectified? Ie, should that sill be level?

Also, one last thing while I'm here.
Is there any reason the DPC should dip down here? It looks like a damp bridge as it is.
6.jpg

Many thanks!

Sponsored Links
Haha, which bit is eek-worthy?

I'd expect a sill to be flat or have a chamfer that runs back to where the threshold will sit, so in essence there is a pitch away from the threshold.

Then I'd expect a decent air-gap from the sill to the internal wooden sill, made good by clearing of building debris.

And in any case, I'd imagine a fat silicone bead at the sill side between sill and threshold (but not on the leading edge where it'd wear), and then decent fixings to tie the threshold down onto the sill and/or internal wooden sill to prevent any kind of movement.

I'll be doing DIY on the latter fix. But it'd be good to know what the requirements are on the former sill.

Should I just engage a suitably qualified building controller to give a report on anything that I'm concerned about and what the proper fixes should be?

Trying to talk directly to these developers is basically just asking to be fobbed off with excuses wasting my time and theirs, or getting bodged fixes that'll see us to 24 months, I think.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back