Correct way to repaint surface

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
About a year ago, I painted my staircase.

Applied zinsser bin and dulux satinwood oil based trade paint

The dulux satin wood has come off in a few places and needs recoating

Can I just simply sand the area a little with some 180 grit sandpaper and retouch with the satin wood? Or do I have to do something else to ensure longevity?

Sponsored Links
Zinsser Bin is a primer. Then you would undercoat on top of that, then top coat on top of that. If you don't, it's likely to peel.

Zinsser Bin is a primer. Then you would undercoat on top of that, then top coat on top of that. If you don't, it's likely to peel.
Thanks

If I was painting a wall would I need to use undercoat before topcoat as well? Or could I use oil based primer, then oil paint top coat

Currently, existing wall has waterbased emulsion

Thanks

If I was painting a wall would I need to use undercoat before topcoat as well? Or could I use oil based primer, then oil paint top coat

You would just use emulsion.

Sponsored Links
Thanks

I would advise against oil based paints on walls. It really, really stinks and you will find that the paint will become darker behind fittings and pictures. In the old days, I used to occasionally use dead flat oil based paints but these days you can get waterbased versions (admittedly they are less durable).

I would advise against oil based paints on walls. It really, really stinks and you will find that the paint will become darker behind fittings and pictures. In the old days, I used to occasionally use dead flat oil based paints but these days you can get waterbased versions (admittedly they are less durable).
Opps you're usually right on the money..

But I have to disagree with you on this one..

The oil based satin finish looks so tasty.. I couldn't be more pleased with the outcome :D:D

Pic was while both the black and white paint were drying

To quickly get rid of the smell, I used an Ozone machine..

After 12 hours the smell was barely in the room.. After 36 hours the smell was non-existent

Thanks for the help and comments guys

Attachments

• IMG_20220122_180348927_HDR.jpg
    IMG_20220122_180348927_HDR.jpg
    131.1 KB · Views: 71
Opps you're usually right on the money..

But I have to disagree with you on this one..

The oil based satin finish looks so tasty.. I couldn't be more pleased with the outcome :D:D

Pic was while both the black and white paint were drying

To quickly get rid of the smell, I used an Ozone machine..

After 12 hours the smell was barely in the room.. After 36 hours the smell was non-existent

Thanks for the help and comments guys

I must admit, that I once painted my kitchen walls with oil based eggshell. I started of by lining the walls, applied two coats of acrylic primer, sanded everything flat and then followed up with 4 coats of oil based eggshell (sanding between coats). I absolutely loved the finish, it almost looked like a sprayed finish. It was so durable that you could scrub it with a green scouring pad.

Regrettably, over the years it did discolour, the walls that got direct sunlight were noticeably darker than the ones which didn't.

BTW, I am genuinely impressed with your wall. Kudos.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back