correct wiring for new rangemaster clock?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Whilst waiting for delivery of a new Rangemaster Elan 110 timer, I checked I could take the old timer out, and then following the photo of wire connections I'd taken, put it back in. The electric oven didn't work at all and I had a night of panic that Id broken it!
I have since read a thread which tells me to remove the blue lead, to bypass the timer, and now the oven works again phew!

My problem now is, how do I wire the new timer with different connections to the old one? I am assuming the oven wouldn't work because the timer wasn't set, but now, how can I wire the new one to make it work? The pictures online show a different layout completely. Would my old 12 year old Rangemaster mind the different wiring, or is it only the timer which would notice the new wiring, and my cooker be happy with it?

I cant seem to upload a photo of the old wiring,
I have double blue, double brown top left,
yellow, brown white, double brown going up from bottom right corner.

The new timer has two more places to attach on the left side ...for blue and brown? Does it matter which way round these go, I dont want to make anything go bang!? Photos on google suggest brown then blue? Then on another , the other way around.
The same seems to be for the other 4 wires, each photo seems to show them in a different order!
Can anyone help?

Last edited:
Sponsored Links
Hi there Got a rangemaster pro 90 myself. Check the part number on the old timer with the new one. With it being 12 years old the timer wiring may of changed. The wiring diagram for your oven is on the website and the staff on the spares line i found helpful when fitting a new oven element myself.

Martin Hill, thank you! Yes, the part has the same number as the old one, so at least ive got that right! The circuit diagram in the manual is a complicated mystery to me I'm afraid, I ll have to try the spares line. Thanks for the tip!

The clock was probably been updated so it can be used for all electric and dual fuel ranges. Is yours a dual fuel as the spare sockets on the timer would make sense for an all electric range.

Sponsored Links
Mine has two electric ovens and gas top ( electric ignition too I think) . I havent had the time to ring Rangemastr spares yet, but they told me this part was the one to buy, so I think it's just a matter of understanding the right connections!

In the manual the circuit diagram shows the timer as X17. TOP LEFT HAND CORNER. It indicates where each colour wire should connect.

Violet..Brown..Blue..Yellow etc. If you follow the wires back to where each oven part is you should be able to connect the right way round. The easy one is the yellow as that should be the only one. By the looks and sounds of it the wiring colours may of changed. Ask service centre

If the colours aren't the same dont try to guess it. Pay an engineer to fit even if 200 quid. Better than 1200 for a new one.

OUT OF WARRANTY

• Nationwide network of approved Rangemaster engineers, fully trained on our entire product range
  • Fast access to genuine Rangemaster spare parts
  • A fixed price quote which includes parts, labour and vat (exceptions apply)

I was so lucky. 150 quid off Ebay and it had the grddle and wok stand not even used.
IMG_1016.JPG

If you can't suss it then just bypass it and use another clock.

Martin Hill, you have a beauty there! Good find!
Thank you for your idea about tracing the wires, but you are right, the colours have changed. No violet etc on mine. I tried to ignore the colours I dont have, but then I didnt know which Brown they were talking about as the browns go in two different places...You are so kind to try and help me. Thank you. Im working today but will call the advice centre tomorrow to see if they can help. If not, it will have to be a call out.

Mattylad - nice idea to use another clock! I have been for a while now, but I cant set the oven onto cook when i'm at work so that I can feed the children promptly when we get in....and I now have an expensive new timer to fit!

Yes go for the call out. With the different colours it might seem you wired it right till the day it goes wrong. The gamble for a repair towards a new cooker not worth it.

How about post details of the timers you have?

Where you got the new one, (link please) and the pinouts.
The pins that each wire was connected to (I hope you wrote it down).

Dear Martin Hill and Mattylad,
My problem is now resolved thanks to a lovely electrician who charged me £20 to sort it. It was a very simple wire up. All the same as my previous timer, except that the new one had the live and neutral reversed on the left hand side.
It turns out that today Rangemaster sent me a gorgeous reply to my email to, with arrows linking from my old timer photos to the new one, showing how I should have wired it. Shame it came two days too late!! Still, it shows they are worth contacting as Martin Hill suggested.
Still, all done and me and my cooker are safe. Job done. Thanks for trying to help me anyway, Carrie,

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back