correcting A *lot* of new plaster cracks

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Folks,

I am currently interested in purchasing a property that has been recently refurbished by a builder/developer and i notice that there are a lot of cracks in the new plaster - some are hairline but some (wall to ceiling) are certainly bigger than a hairline.

The hairline cracks in the walls (noticeable through the paint) spread in all directions and are veined as opposed to a single crack.

I will require that this is corrected before purchase but don't want him to bodge it so that they return after a few weeks.

So....

1. What could cause such 'vein' cracks
2. What is the PROPER method of fixing the problem - i.e. filler or a complete re-skim?

I imagine that fitting coving to the ceiling will effectively hide the wall-ceiling cracks so i am not so bothered about them.

Any assistance would be appreciated.

Kind regards

Chris

Sponsored Links
they sound like cracks caused by drying out, they are normal in a new build and can happen for up to 12 months after completion. During the build varous wet trades are carried out ie plastering, painting etc, and as the house drys out all the materials do so at a different rate, causing the cracking. As long as the plaster is sound a decent decorator will be able to repair them with filler and caulking. Reskiming will not solve the problem as the new plaster will have to dry out as well!

There is every likelehood that further cracks will appear even if he repairs them perfectly for the reasons stated above

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back