Correcting a window sill

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Friends,

Around a year ago, I painted some window cills and a door frame usually a mini roller. As an absolute DIY amateur, to me it seemed like a good idea at the time.

The cills were stripped back to the wood using a sander, given one coat of Dulux Primer, one coat of Dulux undercoat and then two top coats of Dulux top coat.

The resultant effect was a sort of orange peel finish which it had taken from the foam roller.

I intend to rectify this, does anyone have any ideas how? I considered a light sanding down of the top coat and then applying one top coat with a roller and then ightly finished with the weight of a one inch brush. Does this seem a reasonable solution?

Kind Regards

Need Help21

Sponsored Links
I intend to rectify this, does anyone have any ideas how? I considered a light sanding down of the top coat and then applying one top coat with a roller and then ightly finished with the weight of a one inch brush. Does this seem a reasonable solution?

Your more or less there with that, however, even though you are rubbing it down its still a good diea to undercoat it first...then rub it down again (in the same direction as you intend to lay it off...which should normally be in the direct of the grain)...then your topcoat...I wouldnt bother with the roller and laying it off on a cill...just use a good quality brush..by the time you have cut around the edges with the brush, put it down, picked the roller up, used it, put tha down, picked the brush up again...the top coat will have started to go off and might 'pull'...resulting in drag marks.

Zampa, are you saying that even though I originally applied two top coats, I should rub down the current top coat and then apply another coat of undercoat then one more top coat?

Yep, because you might have an adhesion problem putting one topcoat over the top of another

Plus with the extra film build of the undercoat you will have more protection from the elements

Assuming your using gloss and its an outside your talking about as opposed to window 'boards' (inside)

Sponsored Links
If its gloss youll probably be ok with a good rub down and re do,,(id still undercoat)..if satin then or eggshell you can go straight on without the eggshell

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back