Correctly backfilling trench

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
What are suitable/ recommended materials to backfill trench to cover main incoming electrical cable, mdpe and gas pipe?

I have some of the following materials spare

- Soil (but it gas tiny rocks in there)

- Sand (building/ plastering sand which has been mixed together)

When backfilling does one need to do any additional steps like compacting at certain stages?

Sponsored Links
Nothing but soil/grass at the moment.

But I will put some paving down later

I'd get 100mm of pea gravel all around them, as a precaution. Ideally then add type1 base over that and whack down, then finish with topsoil.

But just topsoil over the pea gravel would be OK, it will compress over time of its own accord.

Sponsored Links
I'd get 100mm of pea gravel all around them, as a precaution. Ideally then add type1 base over that and whack down, then finish with topsoil.

But just topsoil over the pea gravel would be OK, it will compress over time of its own accord.
I don't get it..

Wouldnt pea gravel potentially damage the mpde/gas pipe and electrical cable?

What is the logic behind adding the pea gravel first?

I fitted some cable a little while back and I was advised to use sand to protect the cable

I don't get it..

Wouldnt pea gravel potentially damage the mpde/gas pipe and electrical cable?

What is the logic behind adding the pea gravel first?

I fitted some cable a little while back and I was advised to use sand to protect the cable

It's recommended by the water suppliers at least, and essential for sewers. Cannot see how it would damage anything, especially if in utility ducts....

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back