Corrugated sbestos sheeting roof leaking.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
My garage has been converted into a room with a suspended plasterboard ceiling (before I bought the house) but the original corrugated asbestos roof remains.

The roof is now leaking. I cannot afford the £5000-6000 pounds required to remove the asbestos and replace with something else but have heard of a fibreglass spray that can be used to seal the asbestos sheets to fill seal cracks and bolt holes and make the roof watertight. Has anyone had this treatment done to their roof of know anything about how this product works and the success rate?

Sponsored Links
I can't say I know anything about the product but it sounds a bit like "snake oil" to me ;)
You would need to clean any moss etc off first which might release fibres and fibreglass tends to expand and contract in the sun certainly read reports complaining of noise as a result. I suspect it will expand at a different rate to the asbestos and fail as a result.
Blinking asbestos is a pain they knew before the war it was suspect, but stuck it in everywhere they could I guess because production was ramped up during the war.
My daughter had an asbestos roof removed for around £600, then they replaced it themselves with a profiled sheet steel product, looked OK when they had finished.
Worth doing a search for that sort of thing.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back