corrupt files

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I hope this is the right place to post

I have a pc that works fine 99% of the time but when I download files or upload files via ftp they become corrupt.

the daft thing is it works ok with virus software updates etc.

strangely I have 2 seperate setups on this machine
the one that works with no problems is an old hd - sata 1
but the newest setup with the problems is a similar drive but sata 2
I have re installed the 2 nd drive twice but with the same problem

the system is a anthlon 3200 64
1mb corsair ram
aus motherboard
2 sata maxtor drives

running an adsl

I have no idea what is causing the problem#

thanks

G

Sponsored Links
You say via ftp.

What type of ftp client are you using?

Is it restricted to a particular site and, if so, which one?

Does it happen with all file types or just binary files? (ie, are text files ok for example)

Im using smart ftp and the same probelm happens with all the sites I use
Usually the ftp takes ages to work and either the file is not complete or it dosent appear when i upload.
I sometime get an error message that it cnat find the listed file - but then it continues but waits ages to do anything.

I reinstalled this bit of software too - which is working fine on the other drive/setup, but it makes no difference at all.

as for the file types - the ftp is just used to upload & download web pages etc.
But with the other files directly downloaded they are corrupted too- 99% of the time, ocassionally it works ok.

thanks

G

Sometimes when you uninstall an application, the folder you install to can still contain files, which don't necessarily get overwritten when you re-install. Try uninstalling the application and then make sure the folder has been deleted. If not, delete it manually and then re-install.

Have you tried the vendors website?

Have you tried using a different client?

Sponsored Links
thanks for that
yes I did delete the original file and even installed an updated version later

as the problem is both on the FTP softwate and when downloading normally I imagine the two are linked

I did try the software co and they were stumped - they told me to reinstall a fresh copy.

I was wondering if it could be the software driver for the lan connection - although it works for everything else ok

I tried to reinstall the software but for some daft reason when I put the driver cd in the autorun wont work as it used to and also wont work when I try to run in manually.

I dont know if this is also connected but sometimes my connection to the net stops responding - but as it runs through a router and the other machine on the router is working fine at the same time - I wonder if this is linked. Basically the web browser just stops responding and a system restart in needed

cheers

G

Sounds like you have some issues with the machine. Have you done all the usual housekeeping stuff, such as disk cleanup, defrag etc.

Have you checked for virus and spyware problems?

yeah - the virus & antis pyware updates ever few hours - its used for my business so Im really carefull about that stuff as I cant afford for it to be down

G

gibby said:
yeah - the virus & antis pyware updates ever few hours - its used for my business so Im really carefull about that stuff as I cant afford for it to be down

G

Without seeing the problem, it's difficult to advise. If you want, I could take a look via remote access. You'll need to download a slave client from my ftp server (another test of your ftp ;) ) You can then email me (address in profile) when you want me to have a look. The remote access uses a secure link, so is quite safe. Depends if you trust me ;)

Sponsored Links
Back