Corsa D, N/S front delayed brake pressure

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
07 reg 1.0, 3 cyl

Just had the car mot'd and the rolling road indicated the pressure build up to the front N/S is being delayed.

A quick internet search has confirmed what the garage and myself thought may be the fault -

caliper flexi dropping to bits inside, acting a one way valve to stop pressure getting to the caliper

Faulty ABS pump which requires replacing.

Anyone had this problem? .. what was the problem?

Sponsored Links
I've replaced many a dud flexy but usually they cause the brake to jam on.....there's usually enough pedal pressure to force fluid through to apply the brake.
Anyway, get someone to press the brake pedal hard whilst you feel the flexy pipe for any bulges or irregular changes in the pipe surface.
I assume the brakes have been bled, and the inner face of the disc is in good order, and the caliper is able to slide on its pins?
John :)

As Burnerman says I'd be looking for seized piston or sliders first.

If you and can see the caliper itself flexing then it's not working correctly.

It was the flexi!

The young lad (my nephew's mate) took it to his uncle who works at a Kwikfit. The uncle did the repairs and retested the car.

Th other option for the delayed braking pressure is a faulty ABS pump - expensive.

Thanks for posting Gents

Sponsored Links
A nice cheap fix! I've never known an abs pump to create problems such as this, but I know it's possible with cars that have traction control.
John :)

Up to the lad's uncle what he's done!

My MOT man failed the car and that's where my participation ended apart from calling him back to let him know the Corsa wouldn't be back for retest and let him know what the cause of lack of brakes was.

I guessed at the brake hose. Not blocked - as said, that usually gives a slow/non release of the brake, but weak/expanding under pressure making that the last brake to receive pressure.

I’ve spoken to the lad about the Corsa this morning.

He was told that a valve was stuck and needed tapping but apart from that, he “doesn’t know”.

Sounds to me like an ABS pump issue after all.

Last edited:
Hitting the ABS pump with a hammer to make the brake work is not MOT approved procedure ! I still suspect a dodgy MOT. Wait till he tries to brake hard in an emergency

Sponsored Links
Back