Cosmetic advice for ugly pipework - chase / bury / box in

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi

Can somebody offer me 'cosmetic' advice for the following circumstance.

I have a radiator positioned mid point on my wall with a drop feeding it, please see (A) in the image. The pipes are very ugly and am looking for ideas to tidy things up somewhat. The floors are solid - concrete i think but they look they are coated in something (its black); again not sure if this is relevant

My first idea is (B) which is basically move the pipes to the corner of the wall and box in. This initially sounds great but the horizontal (Hz) pipe feeds to the radiator still become an eyesore. I have contemplated replacing the Hz copper feed with chrome pipework - not sure if this a 'goer' tho. I also believe that the two Hz pipes would look ugly sticking out of the boxing in.

My 2nd idea (C) is to chase the solid floor and run the Hz pipes to the radiator. But in doing this, this pipework would now be the lowest point in the system - so how would i go about adding a drain off valve.

I am more than happy to chase walls etc - as would rather spend a few hours now grafting than have to live with visible pipes on a daily basis.

Has anyone else got any tips/ideas !

Thanks for reading this far

Sponsored Links
How about similar to option B but take the left hand pipe horizontally straight from the radiator to the corner, and the right hand pipe dropping vertically and immediately through 90 degrees to run just below the left hand pipe...
... and then maybe put a cupboard in front of it! :LOL:

if you are happy to chase the walls when why dont you remove the rad, chase the wall down to the req'd height then bring the pipes out and into the valves, it isnt really my preferred option to bury pipes as they need protected from plaster(you could use plastic) but also from getting drilled!! the option you mentioned about burying them in the floor is ok and TBH as long as you fit a rad valve incorporating a drain valve the little section of pipe under the floor wont require to be drained (unless it gets damaged which will mean taking up the floor anyway) you can get decent looking plastic trunking from BES which has pipeclips to hold the pipes which have grooves in the outside to hold the trunking

Sponsored Links
The black layer on top of the concrete floor may be a layer of asphalt, which is your damp proof course. Probably not a good idea to start cutting chases through that.

Long horizontal chases deep enough to conceal pipes may not do much for the stabllity of a wall.

How about spacing the skirting boaard away from the wall with battens top and bottom, and running the pipes in the void between?

There's always
chasebs.gif

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back