cost effective way to renovate existing slate driveway

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Greetings

i was wondering if you knowledgeable folks could help me.
We currently have a loose slate drive and its looking very tired. We have been in our property about two years and a new driveway isnt high on our list of priorities but the current drive is driving me insane. Im constantly picking weeds out of it and shuffling the slates about.

Is there a way to make it look a bit more presentable without it costing me a fortune.
I was going to shovel all the exiting loose slate up,clean it and get all the loose small dusty bits out of it, remove the old black membrane as its tatty and torn,remove and treat the weeds then recover and put the slate back down plus some additonal slate to fill the gaps.

does this sound like a reasonable idea or is there a better way to do this??
You help would be much appreciated

Sponsored Links
That's the thing about slates, they always allow soil to sit there waiting for weeds to plant themselves in.

Spending money on weed control is one thing, when all you're really doing is forcing the fluid out of its roots, and stopping the weeds from growing. I've tried mixing a large quantity of household salt mixed thoroughly with warm water, and let the chloride do it's stuff.

This is gonna sound odd, but why not return to grass, and a quality lawn mover?

You'll never sort the having to rake the slates issue, so you gotta ask yourself what kind of money/efforts you're prepared to throw at this?

Sponsored Links
Thanks for the reply guys. Iv decided to just fill the games and continue to rake the slate weekly. Not ideal but the aim is to get a nice brick drive done within a few years but being first time buyers we have a long list of things to change and renovate so the drive can wait. Telling the partner I'm getting the drive done wouldn't go down to well when she wants a new kitchen haha.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back