New Gravel Driveway

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello All,

We have decided to tackle laying our own driveway. Were no experts but happy to give it a go.
We have an area at the side of the house 9meter by 3 meter that we would like to turn into a gravel drive. The garden slopes up on one side, thus we need to dig down and get rid of the mud.
I have a few questions that I hope someone would be kind enough to help me with.

1) Are there companies that will drag the mud out and remove it at the same time?

2) Do we need to put something down to stop weeds coming through

3) How much type 1 would we need to put down first

4) Do we need to have the type 1 whacked down

5) How much gravel on top if we want around 2” deep

Many thanks
Sharon
:)

Sponsored Links
Sorry to be a wet blanket but gravel drives are horrible things. Cheap and easy yes, but you will be for ever sweeping it back off the pavement. Too deep and you can't get traction, too shallow and it's like walking on marbles.
It treads in on trainers and if you have laminate or hardwood floors that's not good.

My cat thought it was a giant litter tray too! ;)

Best wishes footprints :D

In defence of gravel driveways; there is nothing like one for security. I.e., the relative din it makes in the dead of night. There are also lots of links on this site to the landscaping boffins -I think at- AJ Macormack. They will spec anything of this kind.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back