Cost of a boiler gas valve?

Sponsored Links
But dave you said you would charge 80 quid to fit the 131 quid bit which is wrong , you are charging 119 to fit the 92 quid bit as far as i can see

Lets put it this way would you be happy paying a chippy/ a spark or any other tradesman 170 quid for 45 minutes work in your house .
I very much doubt it

Sponsored Links
As a customer it would take me 2 mins to finds out the cost on the internet and then i would probably not use the person again purely for lying to me.

So we should shop around on the internet to pass the "lowest price" on to the customer :rolleyes: Then our local merchant who has to charge more to cover his overheads either sets up his own internet site to compete at a level that suits you or goes out of business.

We're then stuck with having to source all our spares via the internet, but at least it will please those that know the price of everything and the value of nothing.

Is the job not about giving customer satisfaction. Sorry i must have got that bit wrong.
LOcal merchant would that not in the majority of places be plumbcentre/ pts /travis who all have internet sites avialable already and who prices to us are quite low any way.

Its simple nobody is saying if you want to make X amount you cant but why LIE about it

Is the job not about giving customer satisfaction. Sorry i must have got that bit wrong.
LOcal merchant would that not in the majority of places be plumbcentre/ pts /travis who all have internet sites avialable already and who prices to us are quite low any way.

Its simple nobody is saying if you want to make X amount you cant but why LIE about it

FFS where is the lie? you buy the valve off an internet site because its cheaper, I buy it from my local merchant where it costs more.

My local merchant is family run.

Telling people that i am charging you X amount to fit it when in fact it is X plus bit of Y .

Have you actually read the whole thread in regrds retail etc.

So come on then would you be happy paying 170 for 45 minutes work in your house

As for buying off the internet Gas appliance spares is one one the biggest parts suppliers in the country who happen to have an internet site

Telling people that i am charging you X amount to fit it when in fact it is X plus bit of Y .

Have you actually read the whole thread in regrds retail etc.

So come on then would you be happy paying 170 for 45 minutes work in your house

As for buying off the internet Gas appliance spares is one one the biggest parts suppliers in the country who happen to have an internet site

You read into it that the engineer is buying it from "your internet supplier", you have, as far as I can see, no way of knowing what he was being charged you've made the claim that he's lying, you've made the claim he's earning £170 an hour.

I assume that every time I take my car/vans to the garage their not charging me retail for parts, are they?. at a cost of £120 an hour and I'm going to them :eek: surely not.

Ok dave said it was 131 retail from prts centre well there is several of those in glasgow that would be around 110 if not less trade . know where would it be 170 quid for the part so he is making 150 quid ish.
The lying comment is to people who say they are only charging X amount labour when clearly they are not have you not read that bit.

So i will ask again re frazing it would you pay up to 170 quid for 45 minutes work in your house to a tradesman.

my internet supplier as you call them is a phone call made while on the customers premises.

I will ask you a really simple question aston do you say to customers i am
going to charge you x amount to do the the job plus cost of parts and then charge them more than what you payed for the parts.

Simple yes or no

I've no need to pay a tradesman, and probably wont need to for a few years yet, so I relate the garage as my only experience of paying a trade, and yes, I pay, and properly retail for the parts and book hours for the work carried out too.

Yet again you make the claim that you or someone else here knows what the engineer paid or will pay for the valve, we don't.

If I were to go into my local PTS (I don't) I would be charged more for almost anything I bought there than another local Plumber/heating engineer standing next to me. The price difference can be more than 20%, which is the reason I wont use them. [/b]

As a customer it would take me 2 mins to finds out the cost on the internet and then i would probably not use the person again purely for lying to me.
fitted gas valve today on a gloworm 45 bbu Hrpc cost £114 plus vat internet price £42.00 plus vat local supplier independent 78.00 plus vat. needed valve today young family small baby.landlord said do it today so went with £78.00 so already I have not lied to you on cost but its more than internet cost. so we have lost trust based on your theory as the valve was wanted today. every thing can be bought cheaper but are you prepared to wait. most people are not

Well we say the labour is X the materials are Y.

By your logic Nam I should be able to ask every retailer how much they paid for the product they have sold.

I am supplying a product to client as the end user. To all intents and purpose I am the retailer.

I tell them how much of it is labour the rest is my charge for the product.

Any profit I make on materials goes to help the running of the company. If the client wants to pay less then they are more than welcome to try and do so elsewhere.

Fundamentally though retail and trade prices are there for a reason - and frankly I do not have the patience, nor my clients the will to p1ss around waiting for the internet - great though it is. When a boiler breaks they want the part ASAP.

If they can wait then they can have cheaper part.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back