Cost of gas meter? (new supply)

We had smart meter from SSE a year ago. It is SMETS2. Switched to EDF and they can' t read it! I give them meter readings when needed but i can read them off the remote display , gas & electric. In fact smart meters are more difficult to read manually because you have to cycle through the display to get the reading.
bloomin nora.. I fell for the sales pitch again! I haven't switched supplier yet but looks like it may be a ball ache!

Last edited:
Sponsored Links
Dont switch to smart meters , you get all the Pish about how it is better for the environment and all the rest, it is cheaper for the suppliers because you are reading your own meter, the smart meter installers are anything but smart

Dont switch to smart meters , you get all the Pish about how it is better for the environment and all the rest, it is cheaper for the suppliers because you are reading your own meter, the smart meter installers are anything but smart
too late for me!.. what I mean was that I haven't switched supplier yet since the SMART meters were installed, so that may be a ball ache.

Well for the time being I haven't had to manually send any meter readings which is the silver lining

The sales pitch is all about...... "Reduce energy bills by fitting a smart meter" I don't think so.
A digital display indicating how much the energy use increases each time a kettle is switched on, WILL NOT STOP ME SWITCHING ON THE KETTLE!!!

Sponsored Links
Anyone have any idea what it is likely to cost to have a licensed gas supplier fit a new gas meter to a house? I am having mains gas supplied to the house via SGN.
SGN will not install the meter themselves and say that a licensed gas supplier should be used. British Gas etc i'm assuming.

It's hard to find the cost of having a meter installed. Anyone got any insight?

Suppliers vary. British Gas, in my experience, are free.

Caveat - some suppliers cannot handle having different meters for gas and electricity on the same account, such as prepayment electricity and credit gas, or a new gas meter paired to an existing dumb electric meter. The smaller suppliers are often geared up to taking over existing meters and not fitting new ones. And some suppliers are not putting in smart meters at the moment. I would suggest using either your existing electricity supplier, or British Gas. British Gas' billing is atrociously bad, but they can fit a gas meter in circumstances where other (smaller) suppliers can't.

to the OP providing your having a standard size meter then it is usually free to have a meter installed

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back