Cost of guttering, soffits and facias for a small terrace

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
A mate has just had a quote from one of the big window companies to replace the above, his house is a mid terrace 20ish feet wide, no downspout as that's on the end of the terrace.

What would be a reasonable quote to replace all of the above front and back in white plastic, he has a conservatory with a glass roof running the length of the back of the house but there would be enough room to put a scaffold tower to the left in his garden and one to the right in next door garden in order to bridge the gap,either that or a cherry picker would reach it.

I think he's being ripped off, any ideas :?:

Sponsored Links
nstreet said:
Get more than one quote ;)

Problem is it's knowing who to trust, I followed a van last week, 54 reg proper signwriting, freephone number on the back looked like a really professional company, yes I followed them, straight onto a gypsy camp :eek:

he's been quoted £1500 by one of the big window companies which for £150 worth of plastic and a job they'll do in a day seems £1000 too much to me

When a bodgit and scarper co did our gutters, they had 2 ladders against the wall, one either side of the conservatory, and a special metal platform between them, probably 4 metres in length, with rigging to hook it off the 2 ladders. Still looked rather precarious, but as i said, bodgit and scarper.

Sponsored Links
i would say £1500 is expensive. the parts would only come to about £100. a days work £400. so £500 max. if you go to a plastics supplier then you can buy the fascia/sofit etc quite cheap.
it is a easy job to do for 2 people with a couple of ladders or tower.

darren61 said:
nstreet said:
Get more than one quote ;)

Problem is it's knowing who to trust, I followed a van last week, 54 reg proper signwriting, freephone number on the back looked like a really professional company, yes I followed them, straight onto a gypsy camp :eek:

he's been quoted £1500 by one of the big window companies which for £150 worth of plastic and a job they'll do in a day seems £1000 too much to me
They was Roy+ Pete :LOL: :LOL:

darren61 said:
A mate has just had a quote from one of the big window companies to replace the above, his house is a mid terrace 20ish feet wide, no downspout as that's on the end of the terrace.

What would be a reasonable quote to replace all of the above front and back in white plastic, he has a conservatory with a glass roof running the length of the back of the house but there would be enough room to put a scaffold tower to the left in his garden and one to the right in next door garden in order to bridge the gap,either that or a cherry picker would reach it.

I think he's being ripped off, any ideas :?:

It depends if he wants the old wood covered or removed. You say its the end terrace so does the gable have wood on it or is it just rendered/bricked up to the tiles?

I fit plastic to fascias and soffits and would charge £400 including materials for vented cover over but hiring of tower etc to reach over conservatory would be extra.

Window companies just rip you off but people use them because they feel they are getting a better job (ho hum). The jobs only as good as the person doing it.

shufti said:
I fit plastic to fascias and soffits and would charge £400 including materials for vented cover over but hiring of tower etc to reach over conservatory would be extra.

Fook me you can come and work for us then :D

Recently saw the detritus from birds nesting under tiles in eaves and gables ... maggots etc etc unbelievable to an onlooker.....
Get some kind of bird prevention installed.
If Avian flu comes upon us .. heaven knows what it may cost for roof work afterwards.. It is said the poo from infected birds dries into a dangerously contaminated dust, perfect for inhalation... Hope the industry is getting prepared.
Flying rats should be banished to the trees .. nest boxes and all, and I am a country boy ..
;)

We've just had a company quote us for replacing the soffits and guttering plus downpipes on our semi. £650 all in was their quote. They've done a few other houses on the street and they look quite good.

Our house is a 3 bed (1934) semi. Has two down pipes, one with a hopper for the bathroom.

Does £650 sound good? Their leaflet says 10 year warranty etc., but there's no company address - just a 0800 number plus a mobile number.

Cheers

G

please note forum rule 17

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sponsored Links
Back