cost of having a combi boiler fitted.

Hi again I've got the first estimate in. It seems a bit steep seeing as the specified boiler costs £600.
What do you all think?

ESTIMATE Re. Boiler Installation

• Remove existing boiler, cylinder and disconnect cold tank
• Utilise existing pipe work and install new to suite installation
• Install Condensing Combi Boiler to kitchen area
• Thermostatic Radiator Valves as required.
• Power-flush heating system.
• Install remote room-stat (location tba)
• Upgrade gas main as required.
• Install condense drain to gulley
• Utilise existing electrics

Total Price labour & materials Gloworm Flexicom 24cx £1890.00

Price above Inc VAT

Seems reasonable enough to me if the boiler is going in same place.
On my own i would expect to do this job in 1 1/2 days.
Would not use that boiler for all the Tea in China but up here in hull thats seems more than a fair price !!

Sponsored Links
Thanks for your replies Lawrence & NGAFF.
You both seem to think that the suggested boiler is not up to much. Is that because it's too puny ( I live in a small 2 b/room house with 5 radiators) or because of some inherent problem (or both)?
Which boiler would you suggest & why?
If the boiler cost is only one-third of the total price it would surely make sense to upgrade.

Thanks for your replies Lawrence & NGAFF.
You both seem to think that the suggested boiler is not up to much. Is that because it's too puny ( I live in a small 2 b/room house with 5 radiators) or because of some inherent problem (or both)?
Which boiler would you suggest & why?
If the boiler cost is only one-third of the total price it would surely make sense to upgrade.

Personal preforance mate is all it is for me.
Im a Baxi/Potterton fan as they are fantastic boilers which come with 2 years parts and labour garantee but again its just preferance as you could look at several hundred topics on here regarding best boilers and we would all argue on different ones.
Go with the Glowworm at that price is my advice as you will still get at least one year parts and labour and no matter what anybody on here says there is NO boiler without its faults.

Sponsored Links
Armour, a 24kW Combi will heat half your street but you need an awfully large output to heat the domestic hot water instantly. 24kW for heating water is pretty small and would be adequate for a flat with a shower... To use it to fill a bath would take a long time.

I fear that your grasp of the cost of running a business is a little....Errm. There are plenty of folk on PAYE who are experts on how to run a business until they actually try. For example, I have had roughly two months off sick following an emergency operation on my back.. I shall be having another discectomy before Christmas... Did you factor stuff like that in to your pricing? or do you think that HMG just throw cash at us like an employer would?

Thanks for the info Corgigrouch.
I take your point about running a business & should wait for the other 2 quotes to come in to see what the market rate is.
However, I'm concerned that the 24Kw boiler has been specified. Looking at the spec sheet it states (I think) that it can supply water heated 35 degrees above incoming temp at 9.8 litres/min.
I tested the flow rate of my bathroom hot tap & it's at 20 litres/min ( it filled a 12 litre bucket in 37 sec).
As it takes about 10 mins to fill up now I guess I'd have to wait 20 mins with the new boiler ( & more on a cold day perhaps).
Have I got the calculation right?

Yes, thats quite right.

But you done sem to be understanding how an installer would reqpond to your request.

As I have said, I dont go to make free visits to give quotes. Thats because I dont just give the cheapest quote for the most basic system!

Instead I discuss the requirement with the client and propose a system most suited for his needs. Fot that consultancy I would charge a nominal sum if he did not want me to do the work.

You must have given the impression all you wanted was the lowest price.

As we keep on saying you only get what you pay for!

Tony

I tested the flow rate of my bathroom hot tap & it's at 20 litres/min ( it filled a 12 litre bucket in 37 sec).
As it takes about 10 mins to fill up now I guess I'd have to wait 20 mins with the new boiler

Except you are only likely to get one bath out of your cylinder(if that) before the contents need reheating completely. Your combi will carry on heating the water indefinitely.Though I would go for a 28 or 30 kw myself.

I've made my decision. I'm going for the 28KW"Remeha avanta plus28c" combi boiler installed for1900 quid all in.
The guy really impressed me and came up with some good suggestions re.pipework etc.
The only problem is that he can't start for 3 weeks, but I guess it's a good sign that he's busy.
Thanks again for your input guys, it's allowed me to make what I think is an informed choice.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back