Cost of installing ufh in new build extension.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Can anyone give me an idea of the cost implication for changing from wet rads to wet ufh on a new build?

I would assume that the oversite concrete and the 100mm celotex insulation would be the same, it's just that ufh pipes are laid before the floor screed is applied. Obviously there would be some savings on radiators and cop[per pipe, so I'm not expecting a huge cost implication.

Am I correct or have I missed something.

Sponsored Links
How big is the space? how many loops?

The material cost will be the manifold, the pipe, the pump, the mixing valve, controllers/actuators depending on how you will set it up

If the room is say 30m² you will be able to use a single room kit, if it's larger you'll need a manifold, pump, blending valve etc.
If you have house radiators, you'll need a couple of zone valves and thermostats so you can run the radiators separate to UFH.

It will cost more doing UFH, but you free up wall space and I prefer the warmth of the room compared to radiators.

Area is about 40m2 and probably two loops.

I'm not too concerned about the material price as there are several online sellers providing all the necessary parts. I'm interested in what you think the labour cost would be from radiators to wet ufh.

Sponsored Links
I think new building regs is now more than 100mm insulation. The more the better

Laying it should be 1 days work for a labourer then 1 days work for a plumber to connect, commision and pressure test.

Make sure it's laid properly, I regret not asking for mine to be laid at closer centres (100-150mm) future proofing for a heat pump.

Thanks, I thought it was not a huge job. I guess the floor screed might take a tad longer than for standard screed, probably using a lightweight aggregate.

Thanks, I thought it was not a huge job. I guess the floor screed might take a tad longer than for standard screed, probably using a lightweight aggregate.
Use liquid screed? Plenty of companies offer UFH installation and screed service all in one. You would want the UFH pressurised and tested before the screed is laid, this can be done from a tap so doesn't have to be hard plumbed in. Can you get a separate feed from your boiler as needs to be on a different loop to your rads.

Use liquid screed? Plenty of companies offer UFH installation and screed service all in one. You would want the UFH pressurised and tested before the screed is laid, this can be done from a tap so doesn't have to be hard plumbed in. Can you get a separate feed from your boiler as needs to be on a different loop to your rads.
Good point forgot about that,

The UFH needs it's own seperate flow and return, that will be some extra work and possible distruption to walls etc

Boiler has to be moved due to the extension build so there wont be any problems around creating two separate feeds for each.

Don't quibble on it too much just pay what it costs. UFH is the future

You will also need an extra zone valve at the boiler, plus cost of wiring up the controls

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back