cost of plasteering a room. PLEASE HELPME NOT TO GET FLEECED

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Right.

I am a bit inexperienced when it comes to getting a plasterer in. I want to know roughly what a reasonable quote would be to skim the walls (current plaster is sound but pitted and not smooth) and to have the ceiling (which is really cracked due to it's age) replaced.

Are we talking 100s or 1000s? I really don't know.

If it helps the room is a bedroom and it measures 13 foot 6 by 12 foot 3. Standard height ceilings with a chimney breast at one end?

Sponsored Links
I don't think it's really allowed to ask pricing q's on here but I'll try and give some sort of indication.

By "standard height", I assume you mean no more than 2.6metres high or thereabouts?

So, you've one chimnet breast on one wall - is that two alcoves then? Or is the breast in a corner? Either way, I don't think you're looking at £1000's. Just to skim the room, including the ceiling, I's say you're looking at somewhere between £300 - £400. However, you mention replacing the ceiling. Are you planning on taking down the old ceiling first or overboarding it? If taking down old then do that bit yourself - it's easy (but incredible messy, be warned!!!). To stick up a new ceiling and skimming it you're probably looking at another £100 - £150. More if you don't take down the old ceiling yourself.

These are very rough costs. Don't take them as gospel but I really don't think you should be paying any more than that. Ultimately though, get three quotes and compare them. If you can get recommendations for good plasterers then all the better.

regards

fred

Fred.

Thanks for that. You are spot on about the heights and the two alcoves. I was planning wither to pull the celing down myself or if the plaster thinks that it's ok, I was going to board it over.

I am going to get a quote from a bloke that I know (and therefore I know is trustworthy). I wanted to make sure that his price would be realistic to save me having to get too many quotes and basically waste tradesmen's time.

Thanks again, you have been a great help.

IF YOU OVERBOARD THE CEILING YOURSELF ID CHARGE £450 TO SKIM THE ROOM AND THE CEILING.

Sponsored Links
I don't think it's really allowed to ask pricing q's on here but I'll try and give some sort of indication.

By "standard height", I assume you mean no more than 2.6metres high or thereabouts?

So, you've one chimnet breast on one wall - is that two alcoves then? Or is the breast in a corner? Either way, I don't think you're looking at £1000's. Just to skim the room, including the ceiling, I's say you're looking at somewhere between £300 - £400. However, you mention replacing the ceiling. Are you planning on taking down the old ceiling first or overboarding it? If taking down old then do that bit yourself - it's easy (but incredible messy, be warned!!!). To stick up a new ceiling and skimming it you're probably looking at another £100 - £150. More if you don't take down the old ceiling yourself.

These are very rough costs. Don't take them as gospel but I really don't think you should be paying any more than that. Ultimately though, get three quotes and compare them. If you can get recommendations for good plasterers then all the better.

regards

fred
Get real fred, to skim the room and ceiling £450 ,to skim room and board and skim ceiling £650

Considering the post is 3 years old - his prices might be out of date eh? :LOL:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back