Cost of replacement DG frame?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
For once I'm going to recognise my limitations and not even contemplate doing this myself, so I asked somebody I know for a quote, and it seems a lot, but as I say, what do I know...

The pic below is the existing unit, in mahogany, and I'm looking for a direct replacement in UPVC. Both the side panels open (top and bottom, so 4 openers total), and the centre units are fixed.

He quoted £1000 fitted - is that reasonable? He is a proper D/G fitter. On a tight budget here as usual :sick:

Then the girlfriend suggested just getting a frame with no openers at all, as we never open them in that room... presumably that would be a lot cheaper, but not sure what I think about it :confused:

The frame is approx 178 x 178 - thanks :D

20210416_111519.jpg

Last edited:
Sponsored Links
Mates rates or retail? Retail sounds about right. Looking at the picture I think height of the window it requires toughened glass at the bottom ( below 800mm from finished floor ).

As goes no.openers, technically that's a building reg fail, as you can not make ventilation any worse, so no Fensa/Certass company should entertain that BUT depends what your other windows look like as once it's removed , whose to know? But if the other windows are of a similar style an inspector could pick it up ( not saying they would or it would even get inspected , but that's yours and the guy fitting its risk.
Also Mahogany upvc frames are getting harder to get ( I only know of one extrusion company that still makes it , might be more ) , so it could be Rosewood, they like similar but also look different , if you get my drift

Id guess thats a £400 window.

It looks likes its got no cill so you would need to order one with face drainage

Its fitted behind the external skin, so my guess it was a sliding box sash originally

Id guess thats a £400 window.

It looks likes its got no cill so you would need to order one with face drainage

Its fitted behind the external skin, so my guess it was a sliding box sash originally

£400???

You are having a laugh! I couldn't even buy that window trade in mahogany for £400 with 4 openers and toughened glass!
And not all windows fitted behind the reveal were old box sash, some people still measure to get the frames behind the reveals like they would be when put in new

Sponsored Links

or following London practice after 1666

Door frames also commonly set behind the outer bricks, and not just in and around London. Older London houses commonly have no internal window-board, and have a stone cill to the outside to throw off rain and prevent it soaking into the brick. Provincial architects and builders often copied London styles, but later.

Last edited:
£650 on an unknown website, supply only inc, VAT. But a known brand and supplier is worth a bit more, and then fitting.....

Could make some dummy sashes, save a few quid.... when I did this it was £50 off per dummy.

Thanks for all the info, guys. So if we take the price of a half decent frame from a Grand, is what's left about right for the installation?

I've no idea of the work involved. I mean, I've known this guy a long time, and don't think he'd overcharge me...

But as we all know the quality of the finished job will largely all come from the fitting ....

Why doesn't the OP just get a few other quotes.

Why doesn't the OP just get a few other quotes.

He's tried, but nobody else came back to him :mad:

Don't think anybody's interested in replacing just one window.

And the guy I am talking to says it can take 8 weeks just to get a frame at the moment, as seemingly the entire population of N Ireland is getting new DG during lockdown...

£400???

You are having a laugh! I couldn't even buy that window trade in mahogany for £400 with 4 openers and toughened glass!
And not all windows fitted behind the reveal were old box sash, some people still measure to get the frames behind the reveals like they would be when put in new
Well top be fair, Ive not bought upvc for a few years -and even then it was mostly white.

lets say £450 then :D

Yes I realise it may not be old box sash and yes I know some people measure to get the frames behind the reveals -but surely that depends on whether the customer wants to pay for the reveals to be replastered.

Actually the brickwork on the house on this thread looks more recent than Victorian / Georgian.

Yes I realise it may not be old box sash and yes I know some people measure to get the frames behind the reveals -but surely that depends on whether the customer wants to pay for the reveals to be replastered.

Hey, if I only knew what that meant...

Actually the brickwork on the house on this thread looks more recent than Victorian / Georgian.

Thanks for all the info, guys. So if we take the price of a half decent frame from a Grand, is what's left about right for the installation?

I've no idea of the work involved. I mean, I've known this guy a long time, and don't think he'd overcharge me...

by the time the cost of disposing of the old one, a survey visit, fensa registration cost, allowance for warranty, materials etc - fitting one big window has to be in the £300 to £400 installation cost.

Hey, if I only knew what that meant...

If you look at your window from the outside -you cant see the whole of the frame, some is hidden behind the outside skin of brickwork. That means the only way to fit is to chip off the plaster reveals to fit a new window the same size, then replaster

or fit a small window that can be fitted from the outside.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back