Cost of skirting - Jesus H Christ

Sponsored Links
Either 165 or 175mm depending on which room it came from.

Are you sure it's original? How grand is the house? ;) Even the 14 foot wide Terrace I used to own in York had 9" skirting. But I'm not an expert on skirting so I could be talking out of the wrong orifice.

You can get 7 inch torus skirting easily enough. Personally I might be tempted to fit something taller and nicer.

Cheers
Richard

Either 165 or 175mm depending on which room it came from.

Are you sure it's original? How grand is the house? ;) Even the 14 foot wide Terrace I used to own in York had 9" skirting. But I'm not an expert on skirting so I could be talking out of the wrong orifice.

You can get 7 inch torus skirting easily enough. Personally I might be tempted to fit something taller and nicer.

Cheers
Richard

Went to 2 merchants, neither had anything resembling it. The torus they stocked was much more pronounced than this.

Anyway, I went to one which has a profiling facility, the chap said it would be £100 just to set up the machine + all sorts of other costs, and of course the timber.

I'm honestly not sure that it's original, it shouldn't be anything special anyway, but it does look to be hardwood and in places the knocking block on the back attached on one or two sections that came off which lead me to believe they are.

So I've a few options here. I've looked at online outlets :

http://mdfskirtingworld.co.uk/epage...www_mdfskirtingworld_co_uk/Categories/Service

Has anyone tried these people ???

Before I do anything else I should work out exactly how much I'm going to need and what I can salvage, so that's the next job

What skirting how you choose out of interest ?

Sponsored Links
For what it's worth, the photo of the end grain looks like the ordinary softwood that was used from Victorian times pretty well up to WWII. That's only from what can be seen though, I might be wrong.
Making up special profiles is expensive because you have to have new blades ground just for that job, and then set up the machine to do the moulding.
Expensive for a short run.
If you only want an odd short length you might try making up a sort of scratch stock (Google it) routing out the bulk of the waste before using it and sanding to finish.
Otherwise as it's painted anyway as already said just replace the lot.

For what it's worth, the photo of the end grain looks like the ordinary softwood that was used from Victorian times pretty well up to WWII.
I agree.

I'd just re-do the lot in new torus skirting, it will be similar enough. Your builder's merchant should have 7" skirting that has a torus moulding on one side and an ogee on the other. It's usually ex-7" which means it's actually about 6 1/2".

Are the door architraves the same?

Cheers
Richard

Hi chaps,

I'm still in two minds about this and not sure how I'm going to proceed.

Preference would be new torus throughout and keep what I've got to patch up the hallway area which is 80% original skirting.

Issue with the architrave in one bedroom being 15mm approx so both original and old skirting would protrude out (this was the case when I moved in), so the architrave will need updating anyway and there's no chance I'm going to find anything resembling the original ..

Anyway, was on other jobs today because couldn't face this so will report back when I've made a determination.. I like painting so that'll be an incentive to sort this skirting

For what it's worth, the photo of the end grain looks like the ordinary softwood that was used from Victorian times pretty well up to WWII. That's only from what can be seen though, I might be wrong.
Making up special profiles is expensive because you have to have new blades ground just for that job, and then set up the machine to do the moulding.
Expensive for a short run.
If you only want an odd short length you might try making up a sort of scratch stock (Google it) routing out the bulk of the waste before using it and sanding to finish.
Otherwise as it's painted anyway as already said just replace the lot.

I had a look into this scratch stock and it looks fascinating. I just wish I didn't have so much of it to do. Another thing to look into when I get the time =)

Hi chaps,

Preference would be new torus throughout and keep what I've got to patch up the hallway area which is 80% original skirting.

Issue with the architrave in one bedroom being 15mm approx so both original and old skirting would protrude out (this was the case when I moved in), so the architrave will need updating anyway and there's no chance I'm going to find anything resembling the original ..

Anyway, was on other jobs today because couldn't face this so will report back when I've made a determination.. I like painting so that'll be an incentive to sort this skirting
go for transition blocks they are slightly deeper so cover both ends
you can make your own or use what you can find
all you do is cut off the bottom of the architrave
https://www.google.co.uk/search?q=s...iod-skirting-and-architrave-packs.php;685;200

Any major refurbs going on locally?

The amount of 'original' skirting and architrave I sometimes see going into skips is surprising, to say the least.

Hi chaps,

https://www.google.co.uk/search?q=s...ting-and-architrave-packs.php;685;200[/QUOTE]

How easy would these blocks be to buy rather than make ?

Reason I ask is because I'm attentive to detail and would want the block to match the style of skirting. Otherwise I'd look at it every time I walk past. ... I'll have a look around now actually

Any major refurbs going on locally?

The amount of 'original' skirting and architrave I sometimes see going into skips is surprising, to say the least.

Good call, I'll have a look at the local reclamation/builders merchants see what comes up

Hi chaps,

https://www.google.co.uk/search?q=s...ting-and-architrave-packs.php;685;200[/QUOTE]

EDIT : Found this how to in the link you posted..

http://www.carpentry-tips-and-tricks.com/plinth-blocks.html

Think I'll have a go, looks straightforward. This particular chap has ogee skirting but I'm sure the style of block won't matter either way

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back