Cost to heat DHW oil v electric?

To try and compare a direct water heater to an indirect water heater one needs to look at losses due to it being indirect.

Where the boiler is super efficient and pipe work is minimal then no question gas/oil is cheaper.

My problem is easy to measure electric, but not so easy to measure gas or oil, no good putting a clamp on meter on an oil or gas pipe.

Sponsored Links
To try and compare a direct water heater to an indirect water heater one needs to look at losses due to it being indirect. Where the boiler is super efficient and pipe work is minimal then no question gas/oil is cheaper.
Yes, but per what I just wrote, it sounds as if you are probably just thinking of the 'physics'.

As I wrote, using Stephen's figures, when one considers the 'non-physics' issues, gas/oil would still be cheaper even if the boiler was very inefficient and the pipework very long - because he is being paid almost 4 times more for not using his solar than he has to pay to use gas instead.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back