Costs to put right dodgy removal of chimney breast! Help!

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I've done a search about support needed after removal of chimney breast - and found very useful advice - but wondered if anyone could help with my specific query.

I have a conditional completion arranged to purchase a 1902 terraced house - conditional on receiving a regularisation certificate which I was assured last week was 'on the way, just a formality.' Of course, it transpired today when the building control officer inspected, that he won't issue the certificate because there is no support and no-one applied for permission. I think he is going to order for restorative work to be done within 6 months.

I believe the removal was done around 10 years ago. The external chimney is still there, plus a fireplace, hearth and chimney breast in the upstairs bedroom. Nothing in the living room below, and no supports.

The council are going to require either an RSJ OR the removal of the upper chimney stack, bedroom fireplace etc. I'm not keen on the latter option because the fireplace, though now closed off, is an attractive original feature. The RSJ option may involve replacing the living room ceiling as it's a lath and plaster ceiling so I understand is virtually impossible to patch up. An additional issue is that I think I will need party wall agreement to get the work done, which takes time, AND I don't know where I stand on insuring the building in the meantime if the council are demanding work is done.

I am struggling to decide whether to pull out of the purchase, which I am entitled to do as they can't produce the certificate. My own sale completes this week, so I need to move into storage/temporary accommodation anyway until the completion date I agreed with the vendor for THEIR conveniece. I have already had no end of trouble with the buyers over them not having FENSA certificates, having damp and ventilation problems, lean-to without planning permission, plus messing me about over completion dates. Even if I do buy, I will need to move into storage again and deal with all the dust, possible extra costs etc, assuming I can find a good builder to do the work.

I'd really appreciate any advice on possible costs (eg re-inspection by building control, structural engineers etc) so that I can get a rough idea of what I might expect to ask the vendors to knock off the price if I take on the responsibility of having the work done. Thanks in advance!

please note 9, forum rules

Sponsored Links
I think I'd remove the breast in the bedroom. You can still put the fireplace against the wall and have more room to boot.
Ask the control officer what he requires, it is only his opinion that matters.
I'd say £2K should sort it.

joe

I think most people will agree that without being able to see the job it's virtually impossible to give an indication as to cost. Start with a structural engineer who should give you a written report for anything between £100-£300 and go from there.

JD

Hi -If you don't really need the (doubtful) extra room, I would opt for replacing the breast and fire of sorts. I found I could never live without one, the lack of it destroys the room character. I am now happy as I rebuilt it myself- who else-I knocked it down! Also it is a sound insulator on the party wall.

Sponsored Links
Well. Party wall agreements can take just ten minutes to get sorted if you have good neighbours?
A quick signed letter stating they have no objection to the work being carried out is all that is needed. You can write out the letter and just ask them to sign and date it if they agree the contents.

Removal of the remaining breast up to loft height and supporting the stack with gallows Brackets and Rolled Steel beam are the easiest options. You could (As has been said) put the actual fire surround against the wall and still have it as a decorative feature. You other option is more difficult to do and will cause more upheaval and scrutiny by the Building Regs due to the extra weight of the brickwork that will require supporting.

Structural engineers are the first port of call and will cost around £300 for a top notch one and a report.

You will lose a ceiling in either instance if you have a lathe and plaster throughout but as its lathe and plaster this is no bad thing in the long term.

If you purchase it before the works are complete you MUST ensure that it is insured with the caveat of BUILDING WORK IN PROGRESS. Your premium will be a little more expensive.

Put it this way. I removed my chimney up to loft height and it cost me two ceilings and walls re-plastered at £400 total, £300 for the SE report, £60 Building Regs costs and £150 skip and tool hire and £50 for the RSJ and gallows brakets and fittings etc. I did all the labouring except the plastering myself. It cost me just under £1000 to remove a breast from ground level up into loft height myself in my house - so I hope that gives you some idea. Getting professional builders to do all the work (Which it sounds like you will need due to the furore already caused) You are looking at the very least £1400 for a professional builder to do all the work at your intended home I would guess. Depending on which option you went for with the support it could cost up to £2000 or so.

It should take between one and two weeks maximum to finish (if work is done on site every day). Dust and soot will be a big problem!!

Best advice we were given (on here!) was to get the chimney swept BEFORE it's removed... you'll still have tonnes of brick dust & debris but at least you won't have the soot. Cost £30 to have it swept.

We ended up taking the chimney stack off the roof as well - not always a popular choice but the stack was at the rear of the house and only visible from around 80ft away, and we were unable to support it with gallows brackets anyway for various reasons so removal was the best option.

To remove the stack, first floor chimney breast & hearth, ground floor chimney breast & hearth, to buy and insert RSJ in ground floor ceiling and to make good the roof, plaster to all affected areas and to make good first floor floor & ceiling cost us around £3,000 ish. Engineers report cost £300, buidling regs cost around £140 I think.

I agree with Bylough, you can't beat a proper fireplace. Get a quote for replacing the breast and get the cost knocked off the property price.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back