Cosumer unit reccomendation request

I see no mention of what wiring type is used in the original installation...

If that's a solid wall with steel conduit embedded in it, which you do see sometimes with flush CUs, then it's not going to be a pleasant job.

Sponsored Links
If you read between the lines of what I wrote, I was certainly considering that possibility. However, I think we can/should only respond in terms of what we have been told, not what we guess may be the truth!

Kind Regards, John
I would think @Craggy intends to fit it himself, but realises the flack he would get if he admitted it.

I'm not hoping i now have someone who is going to fit it. I have however taken away the risk of someone obtaining a sub optimal fit product by just popping to screwfix and getting the next best thing.

And why would you think that? does a proactive approach to procurement not sit well with electricians or something?

Sponsored Links
I'm not hoping i now have someone who is going to fit it. I have however taken away the risk of someone obtaining a sub optimal fit product by just popping to screwfix and getting the next best thing.
I'm not sure what difference you perceive -although, admittedly, Screwfix do not sell Contactum products, they do sell many reputable makes of CUs etc. Anyway, I'm pleased for you that you have found an electrician prepared to do the work.
And why would you think that? does a proactive approach to procurement not sit well with electricians or something?
Maybe. One problem is that one man's "proactive approach" is another man's "telling a professional how to do their job".

A much better approach is to first discuss with an electrician your requirements, including your preferences for make etc. - and, if he/she is not happy with what you want, then find another one who is. Decent professional electricians will often have knowledge and experience that enables them to advise (maybe even 'warn you off' certain makes/products), and that's worth listening to - and keeps everyone happy.

Once a decision has been made, because of 'trade discounts' and 'bulk buying prices' etc., electricians will nearly always be able to obtain materials (from TLC or wherever) at appreciably lower prices than you have to pay yourself. Also, as has been mentioned, if an electrician "supplies and installs", then they become responsible for any problems which arise with any of the products/materials, which can reduce hasslei.

Kind Regards, John

The problem is if some thing goes wrong, like a re-call, one you may never know about it, and two you would need to pay to have it replaced. And you would need to go through all the hassle of getting the replacement.

But likely you will get it done slightly cheaper, the normal is for an electrician to buy at trade, but charge you retail, the difference means if nothing goes wrong, he makes more money, but if some thing does go wrong, he needs to replace FOC.

When customer supplied parts prove faulty there is often friction where the supplier blames the electrician and the electrician blames the product, when the electrician supplies it, the supplier to the electrician does not want to loose the trade, and is more inclined to accept returns.

Electricians trade on their reputation, they do not want bad reviews, so it is better for them if they have full control, so if they have enough work without taking on jobs where the client wants to do part of the work, or supply parts, then he is better off back healing those jobs.

So you are looking for an electrician who is short of work, and the big question is why is he short of work? Which is why best to avoid any electricians who use companies to find them work, trusted tradesman, checkatrade or any other firm who finds work for the tradesman, if he needs them to find him work, likely not much good.

There are exceptions, the guy who has worked for years cards in, and decided to go sole trader, but taking a chance.

It does not need to be an electrician, all other trades are the same, I would never dream of buying paint then looking for a painter and decorator to apply it, well maybe an exception where I work on a heritage railway and the paint colour is really important to match the colours used by the Great Western Railway, but that is a special case.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back