Replacement consumer unit-advice on what to get

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I want to upgrade the consumer unit in my flat but I would like to supply the unit myself and get an electrician to fit it.

Can anyone advise me on what type and and specification I need to get to replace the old one?

The attached pics show the current unit which was there when I recently moved in.

View media item 84891
View media item 84892
Also, what is behind the galvanised steel housing under the unit?
Is that something I'd need to replace also?

Sponsored Links
I would replace with a 17th edition unit made by Hager your electrician will advise. The best option would be RCBO's and due to the number of circuits not too expensive.

Kind regards,

DS

The galvanised trunking is what your incoming supply cable is terminated to.

Is the meter downstairs or outside the flat?

Your electrician will only be replacing the bit above it.

They will also have to make sure the bonding to your gas (if any) and water pipes is adequate and replace if not.

You really should let your electrician choose and supply the consumer unit.

It's important it fits in the space above the trunking, and very likely needs to be metalclad.

It rarely works out when a customer supplies the gear. There's always something wrong.

The electrician needs to look at the job first, then get the stuff.

He's the one who has to fit it, so he should decide on the best equipment.

It's likely RCDs will be required, but he can design the layout of the board.

Why are you planning on getting the materials?

Sponsored Links
If you insist on buying the CU yourself, find an electrician to fit it before you buy anything. This will be difficult, as plenty won't fit customer supplied items.

The thing is, once the electrician starts taking apart the old board, there's a chance he will discover he needs a particular part you won't have.

If you leave it to him to get all the materials, then it's his responsibility. He will know exactly what he wants, and where will stock it.

There's nothing worse than having a consumer unit all in bits, and either you or the electrician frantically driving round looking for a certain item.

All for the sake of trying to save a fiver or so.

I would replace with a 17th edition unit made by Hager your electrician will advise. The best option would be RCBO's and due to the number of circuits not too expensive.

But the number of devices installed on the board does not always tell the full story of what lies beneath!

An inspection and test/report on the existing installation would be recommended, prior to any board change or board selection!

Why are you planning on getting the materials?

Just seeing if I can save a bit of cash supplying the parts myself.
Do you have a good reason, or indeed any reason, to think that you'll be able to get a better price from wholesalers than the electrician will?

Do you, for example, put more business their way than he does, and can therefore negotiate a bigger discount?

For whatever reason the public seam to think electricians will rip them off making a profit on materials.

And then fail to think what the electrician will do to his labour charges if that is the case and that profit is denied him

I wonder if they provide spare parts they've bought in Halfords when they take their car to a garage for servicing or repair?

And then fail to think what the electrician will do to his labour charges if that is the case and that profit is denied him

I wonder if they provide spare parts they've bought in Halfords when they take their car to a garage for servicing or repair?

My motorcycle mechanic is quite happy to fit components that I supply myself.
( just not from halfords though eh) ;)

Having done plumbing for my FIL and been told don't worry I'll get all the bit from Jimmy in the pub who's a builder if I give him a list (and has given me a bag of bits that fit nothing in the end), I can fully sympathise with electricians who get parts supplied from customers.

You are perfectly within your rights to specify the equipment, if you say Hager/Wylex/Chint/whatever and that you want all RCBOs, for example. The make might not be everyone's poison but at least you'll be off on the right foot. Buying it though just leaves the other party in dread. It's bad enough when it's family, let alone a perfect stranger!

Very wise. In our last house, and about four years back, the electrician whom I called to replace our old Federal Electric fuse board with a new consumer unit charged just £180 for supplying and fitting the entire thing, and for checking and certificating the installation. I reckon he probably picked up the CU for no more than fifty quid, and I was extremely happy with that price.

Conversely, we decided that I would buy the earth cable for the gas and water bonding, make the dangerous journey under the floorboards to run it to the meter , then call the spark back to fit it. Unfortunately, the chap at the electrical wholesalers wasn't fooled by my paint-spattered overalls and I ended up paying through the nose for the cable.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back