Could anyone help me with a problem?

Reaction score
Country
Australia
My partner and I bought our first house!!! Its awesome but ive never DIYed anything in my life till we moved in (since i drilled into a brick wall and mounted a microwave, scariest moment of my life lol and done some basic grouting). My problem is we have stairs that go down to the Garage (below ground level) and I have noticed a damp smell coming from there. it is concrete down there, their isn't anything else BUT when it rains I have noticed the concrete gets a bit damp and the smell comes and wafts upstairs into the house. Should I be worried and how could i fix this?

Sponsored Links
Check the drains first. You should simulate heavy rainfall with a hosepipe to see if you can make the damp/smells appear.

Do one drain at a time, if you get actual water through you could add a drain dye to the drains to narrow it down.

Part of the problem will also be inadequate ventilation; you may even need to install permanent fan to continuously extract the damp air.

Sponsored Links
Thanks guys! there are no drains though its just a concrete square and a firedoor out to the big basement (which doesnt have the odor) the orod is just at the bottom of the stairs ?

Part of the problem will also be inadequate ventilation; you may even need to install permanent fan to continuously extract the damp air.
yes this might be the problem as its just a square of concrete and a fire door!

Would it be possible to get an air brick fitted? It would help with the ventilation.

He's need one at both ends (or at least 2 on one face), so the air can get in, and get out as well. But in one side, and out of the other is always much better.

i should take photos. its a patch of concrete square one side has a fire door out to the underground garage of the complex (11 town houses with underground parking) the other side would just go into a concrete wall id say so i think an airbrick wouldnt work.

But if it's just a ventilation issue thats ok i can solve that i thought there might be a more malign issue. a Fan would be the solution I think or cut a hole in the bottom of the firedoor lol

Post photos all round, but the concrete wall may have earth on the other side, so would benefit from tanking, as would the floor. Putting a fan in the fire door isn't the best of ideas, as you not only want an airflow across the basement, but it might get damaged in the door, and the wires might get damaged.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back