Smell wafting up from soil next to soil pipe, when it rains.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello everyone, I have a question regarding a soil pipe going underneath my bathroom from the loo to outside.

There has been a damp musty smell in the house when it rains, and I have I think located the problem to wet soil under the bathroom floor.

A few years ago the bathroom was replaced by the previous owner and I think a new soilpipe? installed. The problem is that it required digging a channel into the foundation concrete for the pipe run - exposing the soil underneath. I think when that gets wet there is a smell wafting up from the area. You should be able to see the damp soil in the photos, which I hope make it a bit clearer..
I have done a bit of online research but really couldn't workout exactly what I need to do. ':confused:'
So is it that I completely concrete over the pipe?
or is it put down pea shingle to the height of the top of the pipes and then layer of concrete? Or what else could I do to stop the floor getting wet and the earthy smell coming through?

The area to be fixed is quite small just alongside the pipe 1ft wide for about 6 ft to the loo.

I would really appreciate ideas as how to sort the problem out.

Sponsored Links
It could well be ':eek:' - thanks for pointing that out!! That means I wont be concreting it over then, that was my preferred option too! To replace it is more trouble than I want to go to though at the moment - it was a hell of job even taking the photos hanging my little camera through a hole 1ft x 1ft under the bath!

I really want to do it as simply as possible by cutting out a hole in the floor boards to work from and that can be easily put back together again, changing the pipe would mean more work when basically I just want to stop the damp smell of the moisture seeping upward!

I wonder if I could lay some thick polythene in the space and top up with pea shingle (about 1/3 up the pipe height) to hold it down and stretch out the polythene to the side of the space? It's not perfect though, the smell might still get through the edges?

Any suggestions as how to approach it?

I think you're between a rock and a hard place.
Any new weight ontop of the pipe could easily cause it to collapse, if it's nearing the end of its life and then you would be facing a remedial job.

My other concerns are that the smell might be caused by the pipe leaking.
TBH, I have little or no experience on this material and I'm only going on reports of the pipe combined with my own DIY experience.

Perhaps more experienced posters might help.

Sponsored Links
"Rock and a hard place", I agree! I have managed to get my hand into the damp in the soil at the bottom and there are no sewage type smells, just earthy.
It is really just the soil smell. The pipe itself from the amount I have been able to touch is as dry as a bone.

We don't notice any smell for ages then when it pours down the smell level goes up as that soil gets damp!

The pipe does look in good condition - reading that article you pointed me to - it seems that hot water and fats accelerate fibre pipes decay. I think the pipe is in good condition because it is solely a toilet pipe with no pressure on it, like drains might have?

Anybody more experienced in this who can point me on the right track?
Another idea I had was to simply pour in cement up to 3 inches higher than the base polythene sheet into the gap? That would only go about an inch up the side of the waste pipe.

Can someone can help with an idea that doesn't involve ripping up the whole floor? :)

Ok what if I rip up the whole floor? Now can anyone help - is my idea sound? to lay down thick polythene and then pour in sloppy cement up to a third of the way up of the waste pipe??

This would mean any future problems with the waste pipe could be dealt with as the pipe could just be lifted up from the cement.

Is that the best plan that doesn't involve too much expense? :)

Sorry Froxfield, it looks like no-one else is prepared to offer an easy fix.
Perhaps that's 'cos there isn't one.

You could get a survey of the pipe done first. I don't know the estimated cost, but it would give you an idea of the condition of that pipe and even might give you an option of lining the pipe, rather than replacing it.

Once you've ascertained this informatiom, you'll possibly be in a position to think about oversite concrete. But you can't do that through a small hole in the floor.

Yes, unfortunately, it does seem that way - I am going to get someone out to have a proper look at what needs to be done.

Thanks for coming back!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back