Could i attempt to convert gravity fed to fully pumped...?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I've done quite a bit of DIY, and am familiar with basic copperwork and plumbing concepts. However, i'm no plumber, and i currently have limited knowledge of central heating systems.

I need to change my oil boiler (and it'll have to be replqced by a condensing one) and as a pre-cursor to this i want to convert my gravity fed system to a fully pumped one.

My question is this: if i invested in a decent plumbing book (CVQ style thing, not a DIY manual), could i learn enough for it to be a sensible proposition for me to make this change myself?

Given all the stuff you guys talk about, i'm kind of concerned that there may be things i'll miss and screw up due to lack of experience. On the other hand i'd love to take on a project like this and make it work. What do you think?

BTW: if you think yes - then could you reccommend a decent book for me to get?

Sponsored Links
i would advise you get an rgi in for advise and a quote. have u considered a combi?

beano - sit back and let someone else do it.

i don't think any book will give you enough info.

I need to change my oil boiler (and it'll have to be replqced by a condensing one) and as a pre-cursor to this i want to convert my gravity fed system to a fully pumped one.

I need to change my oil boiler

Easy, if your OFTEC registered.
Then you can install, commission and notify building control. :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

As for books look at Part L building regs. :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

Sponsored Links
I think he just wants to convert it himself to fully pumped before getting someone in to change the boiler, in which case it shouldn't be too hard to get your head around doing the conversion.

If your just changing over to fully pumped then if your quite competent you will be ok as it isnt difficult if you know what your doing just be careful and if your lucky then a couple of tees,blanks and 2 port mzv and you might be done ,it all depends how its been piped before just make sure its ok

a fully pumped heating system is not rocket science , get some books, building regs, wiring diagrams ect and have a go.
Look at getting a spark in for control wiring & oftec guy when boiler needs changing as this is notifyable

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back