Could I speak with the owner please?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I got a phone call at work today. Answered it. Long pause (we have a PBX system and it occasionally pauses before connecting, and sometimes old people phone who have temporarily forgotten how to use a telephone). Then I got "hello?" So I replied "hello?". "I am calling from (a vaguely loan-related company name) can I speak with the owner please?" (Indian accent)

I politely told her that she had the wrong number and hung up.

This really winds me up.

This woman probably sits there all day on 10p an hour, being connected to people who are wondering wtf is going on, and gets all kinds of abuse from said people.

And how many of these callers will actually say "oh thank goodness you called, I was about to go to the Bank for a loan. I wont bother now" :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: NONE OF THEM!

The worst bit is, they dont even have a human being dialling the numbers, a computer does it for them and then we the reciever of the call have to wait to be connected to someone trying to sell us something!!! :eek:

It really is infuriating.

Sponsored Links
When I was bar steward of a local golf club, I got a call at the bar from BT Business (with an Indian accent). He had all the details, Club name, address and both phone numbers etc so he should have known that he was speaking to a Golf Club.
I tried to explain that he had got the bar and needed to speak to the secretary, but he just went on and on.
Eventually he asked if we were consider relocating to another area of the UK?
RELOCATING a golf course! :eek: :eek:

Sponsored Links
Y'know, sooner or later they'll call a failing bank and offer them a loan...

Then they'll regret buying that autodialler :D :evil:

I got another one today. Only this time, someone else answered and put them on to me. FFS! I told them, anyone asking to speak to the owner, just hang up. I dont get paid to answer the phone to slave workers in India wanting to sell "my company" ****ing webspace! :rolleyes:

Technically I am part owner of the business. But there are over a million of us. ;)

I am part owner of the business that employs you. Get off the web and do the job I pay you for.

Slightly off topic, but very similar. One evening, I had just got in the shower and there was a knock at the door. Just though I'd ignore it. Even louder knock so I thought I'd better answer the door. Came out of the shower, wrapped a towel round me then opened the door to find 2 salesmen offering cheaper gas and electricity. They could see I'd just got out of the shower. " Sorry to bother you sir, this won't take a couple of minutes" one of them said. " Too true mate, It won't even take 10 seconds,,, Goodbye" Came the reply !!!.
Had one this morning reckons I could get a rebate on my electricity bill. I asked if I had to change suppliers, he says no it's not that at all. Listened for a few minutes then he says, "Just sign here then you'll be with Southern Gas and Electric. Bl00dy conmen all of them.

I asked if I had to change suppliers, he says no it's not that at all. Listened for a few minutes then he says, "Just sign here then you'll be with Southern Gas and Electric. Bl00dy conmen all of them.
My dad got one similar from TalkTalk.

Guy phoned form India claiming to be offering cheaper bills, at no point did he mention Talktalk. He said all through "its through your BT line" as if to say all our bills would still come form BT. 2 days later, letter from TT arrives "thanks for switching" and a letter 2 days after from BT "sorry your leaving". FFS. My mum gets on the phone to BT and tells them under no circumstances let talktalk take over our line. Guy at BT said they get a lot of this these days.

Its mis-selling. How do they get away with it?

Sponsored Links
Back