Could it be my pump?

alscds said:
is it possible that even though the pump is spinning round and appears to be working that it has actualy lost a bit of its power?
Yes. It's possible that the impeller isn't turning or is worn.

is there anyway i can test it without removing it?
You've been testing it.

if i have to take it out i may as well put a new one in.
Quite so. Just change it - even if only to get it off the list of suspects.

Sponsored Links
firstly no ive not been up all ight doing this before you ask. My youngest is up at 5.45.
Ok last night i took th front off the boiler and tried the pump at different speeds .
num3 the fastest wouldnt get all the rads hot. Number 2 made an improvement and after some time it slowly started to filter the heat around but it mad a fluctuating noise and the pressure needle on the gauge was jumping.
num 1 speed it nice and warm AHHH
so im assuming that on number 3 something is not catching the impellor so in turn not moving it and the heat is getting round by convection only?

number 2 speed is catching the impellor but not connecting fully causing it to slip which i think could be causing the noise and the needle movement
and number 1 speed is catching the impellor but just pushing the water round slowly.

would i be right in my diagnosis?
thanks for all you help on this one.
Regards Alan

Seriously, here's what you need to do:

1. Ignore all the nonsense about TRVs.
2. Buy a new pump.
3. Drain down.
4. Remove old pump.
5. Fit new pump.
6. Refill with Fernox (or equivalent).
7. Throw away old pump.

Your analysis has been streets ahead of anyone else posting on this topic - in the future you should trust your own judgment and go for it.

Sponsored Links
cheers for all the advice I have to admit ive actualy enjoyed working on the boiler (strange but true) so i may even look into a course just to see if i still enjoy it.?
anyone got any recomendations

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back