Could it be my pump?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
to cut a long story short. Ive replace the diverter valve and the thermocouple. Now. There are 4 radiators upstairs and only 3 of them are working. Im assuming the last one also feeds the downstairs rads of which none of them work.
With this radiator i have turned both valves off and opened up the bleed valve. after the water had drained from the bleed valve i turned each of the other valves on independently and water flowed.

At this stage one of the copper pipes that feed into the rad got warm but the rad didnt. then as soon as i closed the bleed valve and opened both valves together the pipe went cold.

could it be the pump or do you think its blocked?

ps all visible pipework is microbore if that makes a difference to your answers.

thanks Alan

Sponsored Links
What have you got system wise, open vented from what you have said, pump inside boiler? outside in a cupboard? back boiler? a clue would be marvellous.

Hi.

Its a ravenheat rsf820/20 combi.

Ive just had another look at the rad and the pipe going in is hot. the valve is open (as far as i know) on the other side is a trv and the pipe into that is cold. so is the rad ?
nice to see im not the only one whos up early on a sunday

alscds said:
Hi.

Ive just had another look at the rad and the pipe going in is hot. the valve is open (as far as i know) on the other side is a trv and the pipe into that is cold. so is the rad ?

Have you had any work done lately? your pipework is wrong or your rad valves seem to be arse about face. I`m only up early because of all the responsibilities of helping people out for free at Christmas...I`m only human ;)

Sponsored Links
how do i check to see if trv pins are stuck/unstuck ? and would this effect the downstairs rads?

Bamber gaspipe said:
ollski said:
Have you made sure the trv pins are not stuck?

would his return pipe be getting hot with a stuck TRV?

Yes it could :LOL:

Take the head off the thermostatic valve and ease the pin out just a tad.

Do not pull it right out or loose it because water will follow

Is the 3port valve.

A. the right one.

B. the right way round.

C. wired correctly.

Is the programmer working ,and calling for heat.

is the room stat working and calling for heat.

Why did we change the valve and thermocouple.

quote="doitall"]
Bamber gaspipe said:
ollski said:
Have you made sure the trv pins are not stuck?

would his return pipe be getting hot with a stuck TRV?

Yes it could :LOL:

with a cold pipe to his TRV? How? sounds like someone has got his flow pipe to rad with a lockshield & TRV on wrong end to me, what do you say DIA :confused: :confused:

that would depend on the valve being bi-directional.

At least one of the main pipes should get hot

Of course it could be a one pipe system :rolleyes:

doitall said:
that would depend on the valve being bi-directional.

At least one of the main pipes should get hot

Of course it could be a one pipe system :rolleyes:

one of the main pipes is getting hot, the return pipe, if the TRV is bi- directional then the flow pipe to the radiator would get hot wouldn`t it? isn`t that the whole point of bi-directional TRV`S if you happen to put the TRV on the return it will adjust the flow?

Even set the wrong way around the flow pipe would still get hot first wouldn`t it?

alscds said:
Hi.

I think the TRV is on the wrong side mate, remove the TRV & see if you get any heat

Th Op doesn't say which pipe gets hot, although he did say it only got hot when he lets water out, suggesting an air lock min the return.

perhaps he should turn all the return pipes off and try venting the system

doitall said:
Th Op doesn't say which pipe gets hot, although he did say it only got hot when he lets water out, suggesting an air lock min the return.

perhaps he should turn all the return pipes off and try venting the system

it doesn`t matter he has heat going or coming from the rad, it can`t be coming from rad because he has already said the pipework on other side is cold so it has got be going to his rad but cannot get any further, I think the TRV is on the wong side, but I have been wrong before, it may surprise you..dia is usually right.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back