Could it be my pump?

It doesn't matter which end the TV is on provided it is bi-direction, and flow will always get hot first, unless the system is connected wrong, eg an extra radiator has been added, in which case you could get reverse circulation.

Under normal operating conditions it seems that nothing gets hot, which indicates an air lock.

We are assuming the divertor valve is switching over to heating, and there isn't any taps dripping etc.

Sponsored Links
doitall said:
It doesn't matter which end the TV is on provided it is bi-direction, and flow will always get hot first, unless the system is connected wrong, eg an extra radiator has been added, in which case you could get reverse circulation.

Under normal operating conditions it seems that nothing gets hot, which indicates an air lock.

We are assuming the divertor valve is switching over to heating, and there isn't any taps dripping etc.

You won`t get reverse circulation if you add a new radiator it`s virtually impossible :rolleyes: The diverter valve has nothing to do with it :eek: I`m beginning to lose faith in you fellah :cry: :cry:

Bamber gaspipe said:
doitall said:

You won`t get reverse circulation if you add a new radiator it`s virtually impossible :rolleyes: The diverter valve has nothing to do with it :eek: I`m beginning to lose faith in you fellah :cry: :cry:

And why wouldn't the divertor valve have anything to do with it :eek: :eek:

A clue; dripping tap, flow switch, hot water priority, = no heating.

There is heating on one side of the rad only, read the OP`s posts there is heat getting to valve at rad it`s not a dripping tap, flow switch etc,HE HAS HEAT TO HIS RADIATOR BUT IT WON`T PASS THROUGH VALVE....THINK ABOUT IT...... :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

Sponsored Links
Bamber gaspipe said:
There is heating on one side of the rad only, read the OP`s posts there is heat getting to valve at rad it`s not a dripping tap, flow switch etc,HE HAS HEAT TO HIS RADIATOR BUT IT WON`T PASS THROUGH VALVE....THINK ABOUT IT...... :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

Yes I did miss the bit that said 3 rads are getting hot. however the ones that are not working only get hot in one pipe when he bleeds loads of water out. obviously he is drawing hot water from only one pipe and the other is air locked or the thermostatic valve is stuck.

Which s what we've been saying all along.

doitall said:
Bamber gaspipe said:

Yes I did miss the bit that said 3 rads are getting hot. however the ones that are not working only get hot in one pipe when he bleeds loads of water out. obviously he is drawing hot water from only one pipe and the other is air locked or the thermostatic valve is stuck.

I haven`t & I don`t think you know what you are talking about. my waffling friend :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

Bamber gaspipe said:
doitall said:
Bamber gaspipe said:

I haven`t & I don`t think you know what you are talking about. my waffling friend :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

We shall see if the OP- ever comes back :LOL: :LOL:

Ok im back now . had to go to work then take little girl to hospital. she,s fine. so back to rad.

Had to replace divertor as diaphram had gone so thought it was just as easy to replace whole thing.
on doing this i disturbed the thermocouple and pilot light wouldnt stay on so replaced that too.

thought this was the pump but ive just checked that and its spinning on all 3 speeds so that seems ok.

no pipework has been changed , no rads added.

just drained boiler to see if pump was spinning so might drain all rads aswell?

The only reason im doing this is because weve sold the house and i feel that its unfair to leave the new owners with probs just before xmas. also it could be 3 weeks till we complete and its getting chilly. thanks for all your help everyone But what do you sugges now? Cheers alan

have you checked the thermostatic heads as previously posted

ok ive flushed system through there was only a bit of black water. there was plenty of air.

had heating on for about 10 mins and 3 rads got hot quite quickly. the 4th one is taking a while but is getting there slowly. the pipe going in is hot and the pipe with the trv is a little bit warm. all downstairs rads are still cold.
I took the top cap off the trv but im assuming you dont mean that and i somehow have to take the whole white top off?

shall i sit and wait for 30 mins to see if anything happens downstairs??

as the actress said to the bishop

Take the TRV valve head right off and you will see a small needle pin sticking out the center, gentle pull it out a couple of mm.

If you don't know how toooooo, there will be a small screw or allen screw on most, with sometimes a knurled ring which turns and the valve head pulls off.
Some you simply unscrew the ring. a picture if you can't figure it out.

You will hear if it was stuck.

you may want to read this as well.

//www.diynot.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=69426

ok ive just checked the trv and its working fine.
ive bled all rads.
is it possible that even though the pump is spinning round and appears to be working that it has actualy lost a bit of its power?
is there anyway i can test it without removing it? if i have to take it out i may as well put a new one in.
unless any of you good samaritans have any other ideas on how i can resolve this problem?
cheers Alan

If all the upstairs rads are working turn them all off except one and close all the downstairs off except one, if/when that rad gets hot turn it off and open another one.

Still sounds like air in the return if the pins are not stuck.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back