Could it be my Soil Pipe causing my leak?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi Guys,
I am having a few problems in my bathroom. Mould in the reveal and now affecting my ceiling. About a year ago i had new upvc soffits and fascias and thought it might be caused by this. I have stood on my decking and inspected the edge of my roof tiles, the quite common marley ones i think. I have a soil ventpipe coming out of the first tile on my bungalow going through the soffit and through the top. The tile is clad with lead but where the pipe comes through the tile it looks like the flashing goes down around the pipe with nothing else around the edge (if you can understand what i mean being a woman! )
Should there be some sort of seal around the perimiter, i cannot remember ever seeing anything there but am asuming this is where the roof is leaking as it only seems to be affecting one room and not the other 3 which are inline at the back of my bungalow..
I wanted an opinion before i call in a proffessional roofer as it is something that maybe we could fix ourselves first.
Many Thanks

Sponsored Links
Very much doubt if it is the lead slate to soil and vent pipe. You would see wet damp stains
As it is your bathroom and mould on reveals and now on ceiling, most probable cause is condensation due to lack of ventilation.
Wash the mould of and when running a bath or the shower is on, open your window and see how you go, before running out and finding some scallywag charging a fistful of notes for something that does not possibly need doing.
Regards oldun

Hi and Thanks for your reply.

The window is open all the time, never closed, and wide open when anyone bathing, so do not think it is a ventilation issue. I have also noticed some mould on the 2nd brick down from the top of the window outside on both sides.
Could it be where the sarking felt has worn away and possibly need some eaves trays put in ? I am just asuming its the soil pipe because of the location of the damp. I would of thought it would be in all my back rooms if it were the whole roof leaking at the sarking. I did query that when my fascias were done but they said it wasn;t needed....just don't know what to do

Would suspect they took the first couple of courses of tile out when they did the fascias, and have not refitted correctly or disturbed the flange of the lead slate.

Sponsored Links
Hi,
Thanks for your reply.
Yes they did push back 2 rows of tiles. What is the 'flange' please?Is this something around the plastic pipe 'under' the leaded tile around the pipe?
I seem to remember that they lifted up the edge of the lead on the tile and pushed back the tiles either side and then flattened the lead back in place afterwards.
I suppose its definitely worth me getting the soil pipe fitting looked at first and pushing back some tiles either end of the bungalow to see any evidence of water anywhere else...

They may have disturbed the felt at the bottom of your roof, especially if it is the old stuff that crumbles when moved.

Hi Guys,
Yes, thanks for all your replies. I wiped down all the mould with bleach again last night and left the bathroom door open all night with the window open on the night vent, it is raining thismorning so i will see what it is like later one! I am waiting for a roofer to phone me just so he can push back the tiles and take a look inside the eaves and the pipe, the felt was worn and should have been replaced. I could push them back myself but don't want to cause anything more in case i do it wrong! I do have 3 spare roof tiles at the ready :) Will report back when i have the answers.
Many Thanks.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back