Flashing around a soil vent pipe

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I've changed the location of the bathroom in my house and so have had to install a vent to the new soil stack. I've purchased a lead tile with neoprene/rubber centre.

What I am not sure about is how the lead should lie in relation to the tiles: obviously the top edge goes under the tiles; bottom edge on top of the tiles; but what about the sides?

All other flashings on the roof, chimney and dormer window, (completed by the company that re-roofed the property - so I assume they know what they're doing!) have their sides underneath the tiles. I have had no choice other than to exit the pipe just to the left and below the lead gully that separates my pitched roof (hipped) and next doors wall (the building is higher). Hence my inclination is to place at least some of the left hand edge of the lead on top of the tiles such that any water coming off the gulley has less chance of going under the tiles. Good idea? Also I understand you can get clips to secure the lead flashing but am I just as well to use roofing sealant/silicone?

Naturally I've removed the bare minimum of tiles to allow the pipe to exit. I have also used foil tape to seal the tyvek around the pipe.

Ive tried searching the internet but the closest to advice I can find concerns a shingle roof. Hence any tips advice you can offer much appreciated. Thanks in advance.

Sponsored Links
soakers are not that simple , what you got to do is think about water. it can get anywhere. if the soaker can lay on top of the tile and have a comfortable margin around the hole IE 75-100mm then a good silicone sealent should do the trick.we use a product called tremsil but just check the product you use is suitable for lead work. clean and dry is the key to a good seal. remember to dress lead over top of tile at top to stop it slipping down if possible

Treat the sides the same as the top...ie under the tiles. Aim for 75mm of cover and 50mm minimum. The edges of sides and top should have a turn up to form a dam effect. The sides are cut tile as required. you can use a cheap grinder with a stone blade.

I usually back the slatepiece underneath with some timber to stop sagging. The level you are aiming for is the same as underside of your tile detail.

Alexl

what type of tile are you sealing. if they are interlocking tiles you will find it difficult to dress anything under the sides of these .Slates are a different thickness so you may be able to do an underlap with them. tyvek is very good at stopping water so it may not be so obvious for a while until the water finds an escape route.

Sponsored Links
Why dont you just fit an air admitance valve ? No need to go through the roof with one of those beauties.

Not sure i understand where you have moved your stack but they can even be used INSIDE the loft space without and nasty niffs.

I've changed the location of the bathroom in my house and so have had to install a vent to the new soil stack. I've purchased a lead tile with neoprene/rubber centre.

Sorry to open an oldish post, but where is the likely place to get such a lead tile? My builders merchants dont do 'em. Do I need a roofing materials company? I live in Nottingham. Anyone know of such a place? Thanks.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back