Could we have porcelain tiles on this floor ?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Before I waste the time of a professional tiler by getting a quote from them, will it be possible to do this ..?
We have a Victorian extension at the back of our cottage and would like to have it re-floored with porcelain tiles (wife likes Gazzini).The existing floor is concrete ( later than the Victorian solid wall brickwork I expect) but in excess of 30yrs old. I very much doubt that there is a damp-proof membrane under it. The present floor covering is vinyl and when removed the floor is a little "sweaty" but soon seems to air off. We don't have a damp problem but I expect it is present.
The concrete is flat and smooth ( not a snooker table flat !) and so would it be possible to have tiles laid on this ?
Would a professional tiler need to prepare the floor in any way or just bed the tiles down ?
I don't know too much about this hence the more knowledge gained the better and then I can inform the tiler accurately as to what to expect.
Hope this all makes sense.
Cheers and thanks.

Brian

Sponsored Links
Yes you could providing the correct adhesive is used, but they WILL be cold. the damp and poorly insulated floor will keep those tiles cool.

You could use a tile backerboard such as no more ply first, this will give some insulation.

first,you will need to establish if you have a dpm..

if not look into a liquid dpm...

then look into tiling the floor.

Yes you could providing the correct adhesive is used, but they WILL be cold. the damp and poorly insulated floor will keep those tiles cool.

You could use a tile backerboard such as no more ply first, this will give some insulation.

tpt
no more ply doesnt have any insulation proprities...
imo its a crap matrial(if you can call it that)...and i wont class this as a tile backerboard mate...

and the end off the day its a piece of plastic.. ;)

Sponsored Links
Thanks for the replies and information. The floor does not have a damp-proof membrane so I will see what can be done prior to tiling.

Cheers

Brian

tpt
no more ply doesnt have any insulation proprities...
imo its a crap matrial(if you can call it that)...and i wont class this as a tile backerboard mate...

and the end off the day its a piece of plastic.. ;)

tpt

sorry just reread this thread mate,for some reason i thought you had written plastic ply... :LOL: :LOL:

humble apololgises mate.... :oops:

OP sorry about that.

The existing floor is concrete ( later than the Victorian solid wall brickwork I expect) but in excess of 30yrs old. I very much doubt that there is a damp-proof membrane under it. The present floor covering is vinyl and when removed the floor is a little "sweaty" but soon seems to air off. We don't have a damp problem but I expect it is present.

Vinyl floor coverings can act as moisture traps. I think the air goes through the tile, and then moisture condenses when the air hits the cold floor. You can check by laying down a square of porous material, such as a carpet tile, and a square of baking foil. Apply tape around the edges. Leave overnight, then check the underneath. If the floor feels damp beneath the carpet tile, but dry under the foil, then you have condensation as the damp MUST have come from above, and through the tile. If the floor is damp under the foil, you have damp from below. I had vinyl floor tiles, and the floor beneath felt clammy. I tried the test, and it proved that the damp was condensation.

tictic - no offence taken mate...i've only just read it!

I was talking about the cement backer board, i tend to always call it NMP as its the brand we have sold for ages - i've almost taken to using it as a generic term these days, but i think you guessed that

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back