Council don't like the look of roof terrace

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Dear all,

I would be very grateful if anyone could offer expert opinion.

I had the roof area over my ground floor extension decked and a timber safety barrier fitted to replace the old brittle metal poles that existed in February. One of my neighbours complained and the council made me apply for retrospective planning application in March. There is a door leading to the roof area from the 1st floor bedroom that was fitted at least 6 years ago before i bought the house in 2010. I proposed to screen the whole area with conifers so there was no overlooking. The council have said they are going to refuse permission in a weeks time on two grounds. Firstly that the appearance of the structure is out of character from the rest of the area and secondly that the roof area overlooks my neighbours properties. Since the overlooking issue could be solved by screening, but any form of screening will not solve the appearance issue, then it seems that the it is fair to say the only real problem is the appearance of the area. It is not a conservation area, so this seems a bit harsh to me. The appearance issue also contradicts a Supplementary Planning Document prepared by council that has many references to encouraging contemporary developments, biodiversity (the hedge would maintain plantlife and attract wildlife), screening and in one principle it even suggests properties be enlivened with balconies. I have asked them to take these points into consideration, but have not heard back from them.

They are now saying that although I can prove that the roof was accessible for over 4 years with the house marketing details mentioning 'the door leading to roof area', it does not prove its use as a balcony, so I may not be able to even go out there at all. I've spent thousands of pounds and I'm in a worse position than I was in the first place.

I asked two of my neighbours to email the council stating that they remember it being used by the previous owners some time ago, but apparently this is not proof and I will need to ask them to make a statutory declaration when it comes to the appeal. This is quite a lot to ask from my neighbours.

I feel bullied. It's only one neighbour out of about 6 who is unhappy and screening would solve the issue. I don't feel that the fact that the council don't like the look of it is a justifiable reason for refusal. I can appeal, but this has already gone on for months and is consuming my family and causing untold stress. Any advice at this stage would be greatly appreciated.

Many thanks for your time

Sponsored Links
Don't you have any old photographs or the original brittle metal posts in place? Maybe google earth has some shots from above if you go back in the historical images.

Seems strange for your neighbour to object now, if you haven't changed the use at all.

Thanks for your reply. I have one photograph of the old metal railing and there are also aerial photos on Google. I have brought up the safety issue and they say it's not their concern as they don't feel I should be going out there at all. The council are arguing that the area was never used as a balcony, but the door was just there as a fire escape, even though there are no stairs to get to ground level. In fact I removed stairs that I myself installed earlier this year as I thought it would help chances of getting the project passed. They said they have studied old aerial photos and because there are no chairs in the photos, then they don't accept it was ever used for this purpose. It's very hard for me to prove them wrong. I was waiting until I made the area safer before my young children went out there, so I have no evidence of my own family using it regularly.

Sponsored Links
Dear all,

(the hedge would maintain plantlife and attract wildlife),
A poxy conifer hedge of more than one story height won`t do that :idea: It`ll suck the moisture out of the soil and create artificial shade - they are a menace - ask any gardener . Basically you went and spent on an idea which failed because you didn`t realise the power of the Local Council :cry: . It might come down to the surfacing of the area Under your decking - if it`s promenade tiles or mastic asphalt , it was designed to be walked on . IF it`s just 3 layer felt and chippings it was designed to be an escape area IMHO ;)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back