Council mess

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Bath waste installed without rubber seal in place.
Leaked.
Council plumber No 2 couldnt see problem but cut cut off pipe near the tee in the process and attempted to seal the stump with boss white.
Leaked.
Council plumber No 3 couldnt see problem but wrapped some ptfe tape round the thread just in case.
Leaking.
Boiler condensate has to flow uphill to reach waste pipe.
Exit hole not made good and snow gets in under the bath
Tenant in dispair
Its all solvent welded so Im going to renew the lot with a
new trap and pipe straight out though the wall and the condensate kept separate until outside (where the pipes all fall to a hopper)

I need means of coupling two potentially different types of overfow pipe WITHOUT solvent weld

Ive seen these
https://m.ebay.co.uk/itm/McALPINE-U...056041?hash=item3a8278c529:g:FgIAAOSwVFlULRUA

Tenant cannot afford to pay for repairs(should not have to really)but dreads what Council Plumber No 4 will do.

I have some cheap 22mm push fit similar to the black 15mm in the photo.Before I have to wrestle the grab rings back
1520061486047-1771023505.jpg
off ,any guesses to would this seal just enough for the boiler condensate.

Links in this post may contain affiliate links for which DIYnot may be compensated.
Sponsored Links
Tenant in dispair

Tenant cannot afford to pay for repairs(should not have to really)but dreads what Council Plumber No 4 will do.

I
I sympathise with the tenant - I was a "council" plumber ( Housing Association) until Maggie decided it was cheaper to employ outside contractors. The FACT is - unless you are a Registered Gas Installer you must not touch the condensate pipe - you may do work on the waste pipe etc. BUT the Council need a rocket up their arses, and to be told of the facts - involve the local press is a good idea;) I know what I'd do

Go to your local Councillor, I did that over an extremely damp flat, that the HA said was fine. Amazingly when the Councillor took the case up, and asked to arrange to meet the HA at the flat, they stalled him, and sent the builders in to fit extra ventilation.

The Family were then moved a few weeks later when another property became available.

Sponsored Links
We bought an ex Council house, some of the workmanship was truely shocking!.

Funnily enough under the bath they'd smashed out all the floorboards to fit the bath waste.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back