Adding a junction for a future condensate pipe.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
After refitting my bath (removed in a bid to stop rodents entering from next door); I realised I had forgotten to incorporate any junction in the waste for a condensate pipe - my current boiler is non-condensing and lives in a cupboard at the end of the bath.
The bath waste is 50mm solvent weld and dives below the floorboards, before immediately turning 90 degrees and running beside the joist to an outside stack.
Access is a little tight...

20240405_164644.jpg

Unfortunately, access to the basin, or toilet waste would be even more problematic.

I could cut out a section of board to make better access, pry apart the bend and try and fit a solvent weld t, but I wondered if:

1) is it appropriate for a condensate pipe to join here in the first place?
and
2) Does anyone have any better ideas for a junction? - or do I remove the bath again, or even just leave it to the RGI who fits my next boiler! :)

Thanks!

Sponsored Links
whereabouts in the bathroom is the boiler , distance from sink, bath

we had a gas boiler (40years old at least - for hot water only ) in the bathroom above the bath - with a pilot light - and when replaced around 2014 ish - was not allowed in bathroom, as far too small
- my current boiler is non-condensing and lives in a cupboard at the end of the bath.
how far away

whereabouts in the bathroom is the boiler , distance from sink, bath
Not far...

20240405_173037.jpg

Rebuilding and enlarging the boiler cupboard was the last job to do, after replacing the bath - hence wanting to get a waste ready now.

have to wait for an expert to answer - not sure of all the boilers you can get
Just assuming some sort of electric to power ilot and pump in future replacement

zone 2 is 60cm from the edge of the bath , and edge of sink but in semicircle , and boilers cannot be installed there. i know that , BUT no idea if your boiler is just gas with pilot or has an electric supply -

is it electric to run the pilot and pump etc combined in boiler now

and its in a cupboard, - so I have no idea without looking it all up - I'm sure other members will know off the top of there head

maybe a measurement from the edge of bath to the boiler may assist others

Sponsored Links
have to wait for an expert to answer - not sure of all the boilers you can get
Just assuming some sort of electric to power ilot and pump in future replacement
Thanks, it's a Ferroli Modena 80e from around 2001, so a relatively modern non-condensing combi (...and so far has been totally reliable!).

As for electrical zones - a boiler within a fully enclosed (cough cough) cupboard should theoretically count as outside of zone.

...and if anyone was interested (probably not), with some lateral thinking, it was quite straightforward.
Most of the pipe beneath the bath was 40mm, before enlarging to 50.
I could reach under and cut the 40 without much hassle.
With a 40 coupler I could connect a 40 T, cut the 50mm bend flush with the floor and drop in a modified 40 to 50 reducer.

As for the cupboard, with some IKEA hackery, it's getting there...

20240414_135758.jpg

But do you ever get the feeling you're forgetting something? :unsure:

20240414_135847.jpg

And totally coincidentally, my boiler has suddenly become a lot quieter! :LOL:

I could reach under and cut the 40 without much hassle.
If that's the case I'd just leave it to the boiler fitter. Different doing it beforehand if there would be difficult access in the future.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back