Council re-roofing project - some concerns

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi, I hope someone would be able to advise me. Some work is underway on our street (mixture of council owned and private terraced) to replace the roof slates and I am alarmed by the roof separator that has been used to separate council houses from privately owned ones as part of this 'roof refresh' for the houses done so far. On the council house side of the divider the roof slates don't go up to the divider fully and the green felt underneth is visible. On the privately owned house side the slates don't go completely up to the divider and there is no barrier of any sort leaving them open for rain to get in and rot the timbers? They haven't got as far as replacing our neighbours roof slates yet, but hopefully someone knowledgable will either be able to tell me 'don't worry it's not an issue because where the houses join......' or 'this will cause a problem because....'. I've not had a chance to speak to the council about my concern as it wasn't until my wife mentioned it yesterday evening that I became aware. I'd like to be prepared in case they try to give me appeasing fluff when I ring on Tuesday. Thanks in advance for any advice.

Sponsored Links
Can you post a photo? They will almost certainly be doing it properly, that's what councils do, they should be putting a tray under the join so any water that falls in the gap will be directed down to the gutter.
This is superior to just whacking a load of concrete and a bunch of ridge tiles, because concrete is not waterproof. And also it looks ugly.

As already mentioned they are likely to be using a bonding gutter (search it on Google images)
If you do have an actual slate roof they maybe waiting delivery of slate doubles , no doubt the new roof will be CF slate which will not course/line up with the originals.
Even so there is no reason to leave timbers exposed, so you may not be seeing what you think you are seeing .
If they have left it wide open then it will show on your ceiling when it rains .
The works will be monitored.
Pictures required .

Sponsored Links
Hi, many thanks for the replies, I will try to get photos asap. I'll need to have a chat with the folk who live in the house affected so they know why I'm taking photos. I'll look up bonding gutter, though I would have expected if they were using some kind of guttering system I wouldn't be seeing green within the gaps on the council side and black in the gaps of the privately owned side. As you've said, photos are needed as it's going to be difficult for anyone to judge without seeing and I may well not be interpreting what I am seeing correctly. Hopefully tomorrow will provide me with some opportunity to have a chat with the occupant.

I wouldn't be seeing green within the gaps on the council side and black in the gaps of the privately owned side.

You might. The council side has a new membrane which is green. The private side will still have their existing black felt.

You might. The council side has a new membrane which is green. The private side will still have their existing black felt.

Yeah, what worries me is that won't be black felt on the private side, just gaps. The houses are old 1920's and never been felted. Not that the green felt is going to help the council side much if they're just adding it now a leaving gaps :-/

Managed to speak to one of the guys who looked in charge and they are using a bonding gutter apoarently. Watched some youtube vids on bonding gutters to get an idea, so I understand more about the process. Bit surprised to see bright green on the council side, but I guess it must be just the colour of the bonding gutter sides or the green cover going to the edge of the bonding. Cheers for the responses, I knew you guys would know :)

They'd probably be responsible for any damages. Alcock v wraith and swinhoe 1991 from memory

If it is slate then I don't see that you should see any bright green.... Nor with tiles for that matter. Perhaps you should asked the guy how come you could see the green.
Damages? surely its about getting it right before that occurs .. datarebal 2017

there shouldn't be any gaps, membrane should be under the gutter, perhaps a photo is still in order.
Just get out there and take a picture no one is going to care.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back