Council wall on our land?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Im having the front block paved with a wall all around the edge. Next door is council flats and is already an existing wall which i presume is theirs as it matches all the rest. However the wall actually butts up against our house with a small gap from the corner of house to the sideof the wall. Basically on our land by the looks of it.
The builder has said instead of building new wall he can take 1 course of brick out and replace with new so from our side it looks like a new wall. From the other side its still the old brick but will have a cap on it specified by me.

If this is a council built wall, can they say anything about this if its on our land?

Sponsored Links
Seems like it may be a Party Fence Wall under the Party Wall Act, and so requires you to serve a PW notice on the owners (ie tenants of the block and the Council itself)

Alternatively, if its not owned by you then its not yours to alter, and if you do, then I'm sure some intrested council officer will want the full investigation works, surveys, reports the lot to see if you've actually destabilised their wall.

You need to contact the council to clarify what you can do with it.

The ownership of walls/fences/hedges etc and location of boundary lines are completely different, and the line of anything on the boundary does not necessarily denote the boundary, and ownership of things on the boundary does not depend on which side of the line it is on

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back