Couple fire door questions

Most intumescent strips in quality finished doors these days, are buried between the door core and it's lipped edges, the function of these is to expand in a fire crushing the door into the frame.
The hinge pads which are the items now being discussed in this thread are used between the hinges and the door and between the hinge and the frame.

Sponsored Links
The hinge stile of these doors normally have a thicker lipping to allow for the hinge pockets, same procedure as before. As for the smoke seals, wherever poss to be on the frame giving a continuity with less floor clearance than normal.
I have seen after inserted intumescent strips let into the door edges and was even once pulled up because the seal was missing at the hinge leaves, stuck bits on with d/sided tape, go figure??*...pinenot :)

Guys

I've picked this up a bit late, but the issue of slamming with door closers is because chain linked closers are uncontrolled closing devices.

The Perko name has become generic for these types of closer, although it is actually a trade name for a product manufactured by Samuel Heath.

If you go to the company's website, you will see that they now have a controlled version of the concealed door closer (Powermatic), which overcomes the slamming issue. I'll put the link here, although the moderator may remove it for advertising - http://www.samuel-heath.co.uk/products/product/perko-powermatic-r100/2263/

Thanks

I'd seen those but gone for the smaller chain type to save a little money but if they prove problematic I'll probably go for those, they do look the biz

Sponsored Links
^woody^";p="2721895 said:
You can get perko's that close slowly and snap tight to the frame

You Mention SLOW closing Fire PERKO Door Closers.

I Just bought a rental and I am going to fir fire doors upstairs on the 3 bedrooms - Not downstairs (Not too sure if you need them all over the house (3 bed Semi) I would like to fit the Perko door closers, But I believe they CLOSE very fast.

DO YOU HAVE A LINK TO SLOW CLOSING PERKO Closers

Many thanks
Graham
:)

Hi

I picked this up mobile and not really been able to give it great consideration but I doubt any percos really do close at all slowly. You would need to go for the very expensive variant which also slots into the edge of the door. Can't remember what they're called but they're 10x more expensive! Otherwise go for a traditional door closer

he was on about the fact that the post is over 1 1/2 years old,but i see it as a genuine question and not just dragging up an old post for the sake of it.

Yeah the answer is that any kind of perco won't give a measured soft or slow close. Either a standard style door closer or the expensive variant of perco style (if I remember £100+) is the only other option

Either a standard style door closer or the expensive variant of perco style (if I remember £100+) is the only other option
And with standard closers starting at £20 or so it's really a no brainer unless you have money to burn (or are after a certain look)

I Just bought a rental and I am going to fir fire doors upstairs on the 3 bedrooms
Why?
Hello Freddy
The Question I asked does not seem to have been posted. I was asking about Perko Door closers. I have now found the Controlled ones (Expensive) My other question was Do i actually need to install Fire doors in a Conventional 3 Bed semi to rent out to a couple of family. I will be putting in Smoke alarms.

Regards
Graham

I Just bought a rental and I am going to fir fire doors upstairs on the 3 bedrooms
Why?
Hello Freddy
The Question I asked does not seem to have been posted. I was asking about Perko Door closers. I have now found the Controlled ones (Expensive) My other question was Do i actually need to install Fire doors in a Conventional 3 Bed semi to rent out to a couple of family. I will be putting in Smoke alarms.

Regards
Graham

Here is the link to the Controlled Door closers- Very Nice indeed, But as stated in the forum Expensive

http://www.samuel-heath.co.uk/products/product/perko-powermatic-r100/2263/

EBAY
http://www.ebay.co.uk/sch/i.html?_n...id=32251&keyword=perko+powermatic+r100&crdt=0
They Vary in price quite a lot.
There is a good Video on you tube on how to fit them

However is it a requirement to install Fire check doors in a Rental property 3 bed semi not HMO.

I am installing Smoke Alarms. Cant seem to get any definite Legislation.
Thanks

Links in this post may contain affiliate links for which DIYnot may be compensated.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back