Couple of floor questions

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi guys,

couple of questions, that might sound pretty stupid to most of you but you don't learn anything without asking I suppose.

Firstly, I have what I think is vinyl? Flooring in our kitchen, underneath it is this stuff;

For reasons involving a dog I need to get a new piece or two, but I'm buggered if I know what it is? I did actually know because I had it bookmarked at B&Q but I've totally fogotten :mad: Anyone want to enlighten me?

Secondly, the flooring is glued in around the edges, this is what it looks like;
is there a special type of glue stuff for this?

you can't see it too well on that picture actually but its like a clear dry liquid sort of like sealant but translucent.

Cheers for the help.

Sponsored Links
The first picture looks to be pre-wet hardboard, probably 4mm thick (standard depth for looselaid vinyl install)

The second pic is not glue as such but clear silicone sealant used to seal the gap at the edge of the floor to stop water ingress rather than hold it all in place.

Winner, cheers pal.

If I want to replace it I guess I just rip it out and nail some more in place?

Sponsored Links
One thing to note. The hardboard has been put down as a base for the vinyl over what I assume is floorboards. The hardboard should be dampened with a wet brush before laying, as this will help it to flex into position. Ensure all nail heads are below the surface of the hardboard and use min 20mm ring shank nails.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back