Removing a glued down floor?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

I plan to fit a solid wood floor (not engineered wood) in my lounge which has a concrete floor. I understand that the best way to go is liquid DPM then glue down the boards which is fine but I have some questions - If over time a board gets damaged and needs replacing how easily is this done if the whole floor is glued? If I ever wanted to pull the floor up to re carpet would I be able to remove the glue or would the carpet have to go over the boards? Both of these are unlikely but I like to know opinions just in case.........

Many thanks

Sponsored Links
The short answer is that, once laid , a glued timber floor will be pretty permanent . Removing a damaged piece would be very difficult without damaging or lifting more of the surrounding floor.It would be easier and cheaper to do a surface repair to the damaged area , maybe even getting in a pro for the job. Also trying to remove all the glue would be like trying to knit fog. It is often stronger than the wood itself and takes some shifting. I would say that if you ever lifted the floor to re-carpet though the remaining glue on the floor would probably be lost within a good quality underlay as it will not be a thick layer of glue anyway.

Thanks, thats kind of what i expected. Is there a less permanent way of laying it? Could i lay a combined dpm/sound proofing underlay then glue the boards together and lay it as a floating floor. I understand width is a factor and the room is about 4m wide max. There's a lot of info out there but quite a bit is conflicting so i appreciate any advice.
Thanks

Floating might be possible IF your solid boards are wider than 100mm and when you have a product with random length only maximum 15% is shorter than 1/4 of the longest.

See also here

Sponsored Links
removing and replacing a damaged board from a glued down floor is easy when you know how so dont worry about that!

As for uplifting, this is hard work!

It all depends on what you fit onto. If plywood then you can normally remove this to uncover your floorboards etc. Either way it is hard work.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back