couple of loft and loft insulation questions, newbie

S

sentinal73

be careful with me, new to DIY and terms etc ;)

I would like to insulate my loft, most of it is missing or inadequate

I'm only going to use it for light storage, old clothes, tools etc

1) The rafters of the loft have felt on the underside of the beams (loft side). around 30% of this is missing and i can see the tiles. Should i replace this? It doesnt seem to be leaking though.

2) I have 2 supporting beams around 25% from the outer walls (these go into the exterior walls. These are around 90mm deep

I have ceiling joists? crossing below and fixed to the supporting beams but also resting on the supporting walls these are also around 90mm deep
These ceiling joists are around 350mm apart

Am i right in thinking i could raise the height of the ceiling joists to match the height of the supporting beams, thus having a depth of 180mm, insulate this gap and then board over?

I dont believe the supporting beams are taking all the weight of the ceiling as the ceiling joists are resting on the supporting walls also. All the upstairs is supporting walls and all the rooms are very small, largest one typically 3.4m x 3m.

So if i was to do as above, would it matter too much where i placed the extra beams? I was thinking of placing them above the supporting walls to give extra support

3) Also, how far do you go into the eves? I have recently had fitted vented soffits so i realise i shouldnt block up these, the pitch of the loft is fairly low, so cant reach right into the eves

Hope someone can help, many many thanks :)

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back