Couple of quick questions

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all, well the kitchen is nearly in. The guy I go to do it has done a cracking job up to yet, got to come back tomorrow to finish off.

1: He has jointed the worktops but used PVA rather than a coloured sealent. You can just about see the joins. Can I use ColorFill now the joint has been done?

2: Unfortunatley he fitted one of the wall cabinets the wrong way and you can see four screw holes at the end, the one that should have gone there had no screw holes visible on either end. Swapping them is not an option as one has been cut around the soil pipe stack. Would you fill the holes, if so what with? I know you can get little push in covers but I think this would look a bit cheap, any ideas?

Thanks in advance :D

Sponsored Links
if you use filler and paint it will change colour over time. Use the plastic plugs. no-one will notice them or care. Put photos of your family or cats over them.

If you want to spend the money you could buy a decor panel or an extra door and fasten that on the end.

Sponsored Links
The colourfil will not work if you just apply it to the top of the joint, it will just wipe away as you clean off the excess. Hope he used a waterproof PVA!!

Jason

Simon - properly(accurately!) cut, and tight, butt & scribed joints shouldn't need coloured sealant (or gap-filler - poo); JasonB's waterproof PVA should be enough. Remember that PVA dries clear so you may not see this glue line. What colour Formica are your w/tops? Is the visible join a step or are the adjoining w/t's dead level? What you're seeing might be part of the edge of the laminate (brown in colour?); if you've got a dark w/t you can sometimes disguise the brown edge with a water-based felt pen of the same colour as the w/t. The pigment soaks into the edge.

Of course your fitter may not have pulled the w/t's together tight enough and you can't rely on the sealant to last.

Thanks all probelm solved. I used some colorfill, buffed the execess of and now the join is barely noticeable. He used waterproof PVA. I think the probelm was the worktop we chose has a bumpy textured finish to it, so where the joins are you could very slightly see the the edge of the formica in places.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back