Cove Angle?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I am fitting polystyrene cove over tiles to a ceiling.
I have a standard mitre block which is fine for 90° corners but the problem is, one corner has two angles and I have no idea how to cut them.
Can someone tell me the correct angles to cut please.
The width of the middle tile is 120mm.

Many thanks.

Sponsored Links
hi, you have two ways to do this.1st way is to temporarilly put up your to long lengths either side of the 120mm space making sure the coving is cut at least at the angle for 90*corners.then cut a 120mm piece with straight edges. making sure you have it in the correct position then scribe the outline onto the other two pieces of coving.remove them, cut with a blade and fix properly and fill the joints with joint filler.
the 2nd way is to measure the angles across the three sides.looking at it,if the centre piece is at 45* across the corner then your angle is 135*.you then divide that by 2 which in this case would give you 67.5* .you then make up your own mitre box and cut slots at 67.5 * on either side of the box .all 3 pieces can be cut at this angle and fitted.
this is very hard to describe and im maybe not doing it too well but hopefully you can get the idea. best of luck

just saw a great thing called a magic mitre.it measures the angle of the corner and cuts each piece into half of that angle,so simple! costs about £40 but looks worth every penny! especially good for walls that arent true even on a 90* angle

Sponsored Links
I know this is an old thread but how did you manage to sort this in the end? I have a similar angle to cut and have wasted several lengths to get it right... :confused:

You are basically looking to halve the two angles where the joints will be.
The easiest way to determine these angles is to take a small piece of coving, hold it in position and mark a line on the ceiling all the way around the angles. This line should then run parallel to the angles of the wall.
Where the corners meet on the ceiling, use some type of angle finder (old school protractor comes in handy here) to measure the exact angle.
Halve this and you have the angles at which you need to cut the coving. This is unlikely to be a standard angle for most mitre boxes so you will probably need a fully adjustable mitre box/saw, unless you can make a simple wooden mitre block just to cut the required angles.
Remember that when you are cutting coving mitres, you need to position the coving upside down in the mitre box, i.e. the ceiling edge should be on the base of the mitre box.
Don't expect the corners to join completely perfectly if it is a first attempt...patience and a bit of filler are your best friends here! ;)

Good luck.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back